南京师范大学中北学院
讲师

课程特色

视频(48)
作业(48)
考试(1)

U8S1

By 汤嘉惠 老师 12-06 1879次浏览

Write down your analysis of characterization of Rainsford and General Zaroff. You can collect textual evidence on his appearance, his identity, his residence, his lifestyle, his creeds, his words, and his deeds to support your analysis.

111 回复

• 82220411林露露 12-07

I think Rainsford was an experienced hunter, as evidenced by his use of Malay traps and Burmese tiger pits. Secondly, he is smart and cunning, and good at using things around him to attack and protect. His heart hides the animal attribute "bloody", the constant pursuit and the surrounding jungle fantasy inspired his inner wild.

On the surface, Zarov was a well-educated nobleman, and he treated people with courtesy. In fact, he is comparable to the ancient untamed wild man, he likes to play with the lives of others, people as prey. He is too proud and self-respecting to admit his failure.

回复
  • 82220323唐艺菲 12-08

I think Rainsford is an intelligent hunter with great self-esteem. He can skillfully use the stuffs around him to create traps against Zaroff according to his surroundings, such as playing a fox, making a Malay man-cather, Burmese tiger pit and so on. The skillful usage of these woodcrafts shows that he is a smart hunter. The change of his identity from a mouse to a cat occurred when General Zaroff provoked him again and again. It shows that he has a strong sense of self-esteem and is competitive.

I regard General Zaroff as a polite but conceited person who is very cruel as well. He saw Rainsford as a toy for the game from his first encounter, and then provoked Rainsford every time with the creed that he was bound to win, but his words had a hypocritical courtesy that reflected his noble status as a general. When his hound died, he did not show regret for the death, nor did he show mourning for his dear fellow, but praised Rainsford's woodcraft from the death of his hound. For General Zaroff, there is only hunter game. He didn't care about life. So he is very indifferent and even cruel.

回复
  • 82220310黄旭怡 12-09

Firstly, Rainsford is a courageous and composed person, because he kept his nerve to fight his way through the bush for hours and stopped to take stock of himself and the situation. Although he knew the full meaning of horror that he was played as a mouse by the general, he tried not to lose his nerve. Secondly, Rainsford is a resourceful and perceptive person. He ultimately won the hunting game by hiding himself on the tree, making tricks like Malay man-catcher, Burmese tiger pit and Uganda’s local trick, and jumping the cliff to swim back the castle.

Firstly, General Zaroff is a hypocritical and paradoxical person. On the one hand, he was equipped with civilized and polite manner, according to his words “But may I venture to suggest that you’ll find my idea of sport more interesting than Ivan’s?” “I must beg you to excuse me now.” and his gesture “with a deep courtly”. On the other hand, he proposed a cruel hunting game and disregarded for human life, according to his words “And the stake is not without value, eh?” “The deplorable part of it was that Lazarus followed him. He was the finest hound in my pack.” Secondly, General Zaroff is an arrogant and condescending person, according to “Hunting at night is so much more exciting than by day, don’t you think?” “If you are within sound of voice, as I suppose you are, let me congratulate you.” “You are proving interesting.” On the first day, he found Rainsford on the tree but he saved him for another day’s sport, which means he played Rainsford as a prey carelessly.

回复
  • 82220431徐佳仪 12-09

I think General Zaroff is gentleman, because he knows Madame Butterfly by heart and knows the name of Rainsford's scheme. He is always a merciless man, because he regards life as grass and a plaything. He would lament the loss of his hunting dog, but he had no mercy on Rainsford.

I think Rainsford is a an experienced hunter, as he is familiar with escape and counterattack techniques, like fox and tiger pit. He is always bloody and self-collected, even if he does not want to continue the game at first, when he is in the game, he will be well involved in it, turning a passive situation into an active one, and thus winning the game.

回复
  • 82220304陈昱含 12-10

Rainsford and Zaroff engage in three fascinating confrontations, and both of them can be said to be experienced 'hunters'.

Zaroff has a weird, murderous personality. He hunted those who had escaped the sinking ship to the island, and took pleasure in the hunter, showing his cruelty and coldness. This can also be taken from "One foolish fellow tried to walk across the quicksand. The deplorable part of it was that Lazarus followed him." It can be seen that in Zaroff's eyes, the lives of these people are less important than his hounds' lives, which shows that he is indifferent. One scene that impressed me was Rainsford hiding in a tree. Zaroff was in no hurry to catch Rainsford. “The sharp eyes of the hunter stopper before they reached the limb where Rainsford lay; a smile spread over his face."He is very confident and arrogant that Rainsford can not escape his grasp. Zaroff plays and tortures his prey in this condescending manner.

Rainsford excels in different kinds of traps according to different environment. He is very rational and tries to keep his nerve despite being scared by Zaroff's competence. He is very quick-minded when he sank in the quicksand. In a life-or-death situation, he did not despair easily. Instead, the quicksand inspired him to make a trap. He is a tough guy with great wittiness.

回复
  • 82220410李蕴哲 12-10

From my perspective,Rainsford is skillful,for he could make some traps like Malay man-catcher,Burmese tiger pit and so on.The general played the outdoor chess with Rainsford in person,where you can also see Rainsford's intelligence.At the same time,Rainsford is also a very calm person when confronting with the general.

The general Zaroff is a hypocritical person.We can see this from his word:"But may I venture to suggest that you'll find my idea of sport more interesting than Ivan's?"Although he was hurt by the trap made by Rainsford,his words still demonstrated his superiority.Thus,he is a condescending figure as well.

回复
  • 82220437张雨婷 12-10

I think Rainsford is a clever hunter. He is good at learning. When he avoids the general's pursuit, he learns the dodging skills of foxes and makes traps he has learned before, such as Malay man catcher,Burmese tiger pit and so on. At the same time,  he  also has a strong body. In this game, climbing trees, making traps, running and some other manifestations  all reflect his strength.
     General Zaroff was a false aristocrat, and although he had been educated and appeared polite on the surface, there was  hypocrisy in his words. When he invited Rainford to play, it appeared that "But may i venture to suggest..." But in fact, it is a  threat, and his condescension and hypocrisy can be clearly felt in the subsequent conversation

回复
  • 82220438赵前博 12-10

I think Rainsford is an intelligent man with a lot of bush hunting experience and is able to use his hunting skills well. He can skillfully use the things around him, according to the surrounding environment, to create a variety of traps against Zaroff. At the same time, he is a self-respecting, decisive and competitive person who is willing to respond in kind. In the game with General Zaroff, he did not choose to surrender, but constantly sought opportunities to fight back.

I think General Zaroff is a cultured but conceited, arrogant and bloodthirsty man. He sees Rainsford as a plaything, and his polite behavior toward Rainsford is not kindness, but a condescending, cat-and-mouse arrogance. At the same time, he is a self-centered and cold man, facing the death of his many years of men and dogs, he is not sad, but rather indifferent.

回复
  • 82220314李周冰 12-10

Rainsford is a calm and intelligent person. When he found out that he had been discovered by Zaroff, he did not give up. Instead, he calmed down and constantly searched for ways to overcome the problem. He used his rich hunting experience to create Malay catchers, Burmese tiger traps, and local Uganda tricks to solve the difficulties time and time again.

Zaroff is a conceited and self contradictory person. When he was able to catch Rainsford several times, he did not directly catch him, but instead let him escape and catch him again like a wild beast playing with its prey, indicating his arrogance and arrogance. Moreover, his seemingly polite words contrast with his cruelty during hunting, indicating that he is still a self contradictory person.

回复
  • 82220408贾静媛 12-10

General Zaroff appears to be a polite, well-spoken gentleman who usually lives in an aristocratic lifestyle, but beneath these surfaces he is savage and does not resemble a modern man. He longs for bloody killing in his heart, and uses killing as hunting for entertainment, which can be described as sanctimonious and human-faced and beast-hearted.He takes pleasure in enjoying the pain of those he hunts down, cold-blooded and ruthless. At the same time, he is extremely conceited, and even though he has recognized Rainsford's extraordinary, he does not want to admit that he may be defeated by him, and always maintains a sense of superiority.

Rainsford is more of a flesh-and-blood man than a general, but that's just the beginning. When the hunt begins, Rainsford realizes that he has become the prey of the hunter, and he gradually begins to take revenge, and in the process of revenge, he also begins to become cold-blooded, killing people mercilessly. But I think he's just trying to survive, and he's influenced by his environment. Instead of mutilating innocent people like a general, he took revenge on the general and his subordinates who wanted to kill him.

回复
  • 82220430童元媛 12-10

I think Rainsford was an experienced and intelligent hunter. In the text, he could create traps proficiently. He done well in using things around him to protect himself and attack Zaroff. 

I think Zaroff was a overconfident and condescending person. He was well-educated, however, he treated many people like Rainsford as his toy. His words were hypocritical and he pretended to be in control of everything. When his hound died, he did not show a not of sadness. Instead, he praised Rainsfor's woodcraft. In the end, his indifference to lives and ruthlessness led to his death.

回复
  • 82220303陈雨佳 12-10

I think Zaroff was total disregard for human life.When he talked about the quickland,he said "One foolish fellow tried it.The deplorable part of it was that Lazarus follwed him.He was the finest hound in my pack."He think dog's live is important than human.Zaroff may know multiple languages and refinest tests.He would read Madame Butterfly during his leisure time.Howere he lacks the underlying humanity necessary to be truly civilized.

I think Rainsford was resourceful.When he got in trouble,he told himself"keeo my nerve,keep my never"He did not wait for death to come.He used the skills he had learned such as Malay man catcher,and Burmese tigter pit to fight back general.He did not give up and he defeated the general in the finnal battle.

回复
  • 82220327王义皓 12-10

Rainsford:

1. Identity: Rainsford is an accomplished big-game hunter and author. He is known for his expertise in hunting and survival skills.

2. Creeds: Rainsford initially holds a traditional view of hunting, considering it a natural and acceptable pursuit. However, his experiences on Ship-Trap Island challenge his beliefs and force him to question the morality of hunting.

3. Words: Rainsford is portrayed as intelligent and quick-witted. He engages in intellectual discussions with General Zaroff, expressing his concerns about the ethics of hunting humans.

Zaroff:

1. Identity: General Zaroff is a former military officer and a skilled hunter. He is known for his cunning and ruthless nature.

2. Creeds: General Zaroff embraces a twisted philosophy known as "the hunt of the most dangerous game." He believes that hunting humans, who possess reasoning abilities, provides the ultimate thrill.

3. Words: General Zaroff is eloquent and persuasive, using his words to justify his actions. He engages in philosophical discussions with Rainsford, attempting to convince him of the righteousness of his hunting purside.

回复
  • 82220424孙烨 12-10

Rainsford was an experienced and intelligent hunter who was adept at using his knowledge to protect himself. He used the tactics of circling foxes to completely confuse the general's sight; He learned the cat to climb up and rest in the trees, hiding among the luxuriant branches; He dug a huge Burmese tiger pit in the loose soil and killed the general's hunting dogs. He went back and forth with the general, the hound, and the general's servant.

General Zaroff appeared to be a polite, highly educated aristocrat, but in fact he was a very brutal and bloody figure. His ideology and behavior are barbaric. He reveled in the thrill of the hunter's game. For General Zaroff,man was the prey of the hunter. In his view, killing was the same as hunting.

回复
  • 82220417邱霞 12-10

Rainsford, in my opinion, is a calm and fearless hunter with experience and resourcefulness, who recognises his predicament in his first of four encounters with the General, uses his knowledge of the wilderness on several subsequent occasions to wound the General and kill Ivan, and finally returns to the castle to defeat the General.

General Zaroff is a hypocritical, learned, and at the same time cold character, and when he asks Rainsford to agree to be his prey and doesn't, he subtly hints that not playing the game with him will likely kill Rainsford. in Rainsford's encounter, Rainsford kills Ivan, and instead of grieving for a second over Ivan's death, he drinks wine by the edge of a cliff and returns home to simply return to the castle to defeat him. and comes home simply disappointed that he is missing a trained dog.

回复
  • 朱彤82220340 12-10

Rainsford Is an experienced jungle hunter, he first hid in a tree, quadriplegia, let himself look less obvious, and in the following several battles, constantly reduce the power of the Zaroff general, first hound, then Ivan, finally can escape the general.

Zaroff General was a ruthless man with strict military discipline. From his initial threat to Rainsford, he despised those who tried to escape the danger. In the later confrontation, his hound and his entourage died, but he did not have any emotional swings, as if he had never experienced these things.

回复
  • 82220422孙念 12-10

Autually, Rainsford is very smart and resourceful. He can use what he have learned in other places to against Zaroff's hunting, such as :Malay man-catcher, Burmese tiger pit and a native trick he have learned in Uganda. He is also cold-blooded and ruthless, in order to ensure his true freedom, he eventually killed Zaroff.

Zaroff is cruel and ruthless. When Ivan died, he just cared about that it's difficult to replace him. He is hypocritical, he pretends to be generous and let Zaroff decide whether to play the game or not,and gives him something to protect himself. Zaroff is also arrogant and superior. When he hurts by Rainsford ,he may be flustered, but he says"I shall be back." At the same time, he is noble and elegant .At the end of the story ,it describes that"he hummed a bit from Madame Butterfly".

回复
  • 82220402常锦秀 12-10

I think, on the one hand, Rainsford was resourceful and experienced. Because he could come up with diffferent ways to cope with the general's hunting. But on the other hand, he was cold bloody too. Probably he was affected by the social environment, he killed Ivan without any benevolence and even the regret.

I think General Zarrof was hypocritical, because he said that  the choice rests entirely with you. But apparently that's not the case. Rainsford had no choice but to play the game. He was conceited too, he firmly believed that Rainsford wouldn't win the game, so he deliberately let Rainsford go. Zarrof was knowledgable too, he read Madame BUtterfly.

回复
  • 82220425王珊珊 12-10

I think Rainsford is a calm hunter. He had to play this cruel game with the general, but he was careful enough to show in the three rounds of the fight, such as the third round when he tied his knife to the vine to kill Ivan, and each trap was carefully laid, which also enabled him to win.

I think the general is a polite, hypocritical nobleman. He treated Rainsford with courtesy, but played with him as if he were prey. He specifically advised Rainsford to wear moccasins to facilitate his escape. He was indifferent to the death of his best hunting dogs and Ivan, they were only pawns to him to help him win the game, he had no feelings, was indifferent.

回复
  • 82220421苏琦 12-10

I think Rainsford is a resourceful and experienced hunter, he can think calmly in the face of the general's pursuit and flexibly use his previous knowledge to protect himself, several times he shocked the general and killed the general's hound and servant Ivan. In the end he uses his intelligence and manages to win the game. He takes the General's place. But I didn't find him to be a decent character, in the environment they were in, there was only bloodshed, and by hurting each other, they were able to protect themselves. If he hadn't been captured by the General, I think he would have been just as cruel and feral.
    I think Zaroff is hypocritical to the core and egotistical. The way he talks and behaves exhibits a strong contrast between his nobility and his hypocritical and cruel heart. He has no regard for human life, but only treats it as a game for his amusement and indulges in this bloody game. Even though he is wounded by Rainsford, he still has to defend his pride to hide his inner panic.

回复
  • 82220326王鑫 12-10

Personally, Rainsford is very good at pretending.In the beginning of the article, the general asked him to join the game, but he refused, I thought he was timid at first, but in the series of traps he created later, I think this is his smart performance, so that the general deliberately relaxed his guard against him, for himself to fight for more opportunities, he is actually very ambitious.

General Zaroff was a cold and proud man, and he was quite sure that Rainsford would not swim back to shore after jumping off the cliff, nor would he have thought of it. The fact that he chases his prey throughout the game, and continues to let him escape when the prey is already exposed, shows that he is not concerned about the threat to himself, and he is very confident that he can win.

回复
  • 82220434张海艳 12-10

I think Rainsford is an experienced hunter with both wit and courage, he didn't have any help, but he had the composure to face a brutal opponent. From the animals he had hunted, he learned how to evade hunters, one by one, by learning the fox to go round and round, disrupting General Zarov's sight; He learns how cats climb up trees to rest, hiding in the thick branches and leaves; He dug Burmese tiger pits in soft ground and killed the general's best hunting dogs.

In my opinion, General Zarov is a false man, who appears to be a civilized nobleman, but is actually a cruel villain. Zalov was arrogant and confident that he could defeat Rainsford, so he used him as prey. Zharov is excited about the upcoming hunt, and mentions that he is not amused by the fact that people who have come to the island and been forced to play hunting games with him have jumped into the sea and been killed by his hounds, which reveals that he regards killing as an everyday occurrence.

回复
  • 82220419沈淑仪 12-10

I think Zaroff is a conscending and cold-blooded man. He once hunted a man to death. However, he regretted to make his hound lose its life. At first, he didn't believe Rainsford could run away. Finally, the hunter was killed by his prey.

I think Rainsford is a calm and experienced man. He was at a disadvantage at first. Rainsford never gave up when in trouble. He used a series of solutions like Malay man-catcher to protect himself and fight against Zaroff.

回复
  • 82220329徐国芳 12-10

I think rainsford is a man with a lot of hunting experience, and he's both smart and brave. In a very nervous situation, he still made four kinds of hunting traps, and finally defeated the general.He has a lot of experience and knowledge. He has lived through wars, traveled across many countries, and learned from different cities to apply to his life.

The general was a man of contradictions and distortions. On the one hand, others call him general, on the other hand, he is keen to play hunting games in the jungle. He enjoyed the thrill of the game.He was also cruel and selfish, playing with the lives of others to satisfy his own selfish desires.

回复
  • 82220331荀亦静 12-10

I think Rainsford is a person with a strong inner strength. He was not afraid to give up in the face of General Zaroff's threat. But use one's own wisdom to gradually resolve the crisis.

I think Zaroff is a person who is inherently contradictory. He wants to find someone who can defeat him, but he doesn't want to be defeated. He has a disregard for life. As mentioned in the article, Rainford's life can be just a gamble in a game for him.

回复
  • 82220209韦诗琪 12-10

Rainsford is very intelligent and smart, for he creatively make a Malay man-catcher and finally won the game. Although he did not cathch General Zaroff by the trap, he has tried his best to use what's around him.

General Zaroff pretended not to find Rainsford at first, because he is arrogant and wicked. He regarded Rainsfold as a quarry, and firmly believe that he will win the game.

回复
  • 82220435张晴晴 12-10

I think Rainsford is a calm guy because at the beginning, he was very calm and didn't mess up in the face of the general's pursuit. At the same time, he is also an experienced hunter, and when it is not against him, he does not choose to sit idly by, but makes all kinds of traps based on his experience. But I think he was also a ruthless man, because in the later stages he also knew that the only way to survive was to become the master of the island himself, and he chose to kill the general.

I think the general is a gentleman, a civilized man, because he will ask Rainsford what he thinks, and he will give Rainsford advice and supplies. But he was also an indifferent man, for he felt that when someone was deep in a swamp, he would not sigh for the dead, but would feel unfair to his hound. In addition to this, the general is still an arrogant man, because after he was hit by the trap created by Rainsford, he did not reflect, but became more blindly confident, feeling that he must be the victor in this hunt.

回复
  • 82220333易枫樱 12-10

I think Rainsford is a man with a cool head and good mental quality. Faced with this game of life and death, he was able to quickly shake off panic and fear and keep his mind clear to think about ways to cope.When he was passively fleeing, he was able to take detours and set false tracks to confuse the enemy. His attitude is positive, he will not choose to give up and react negatively to wait for death.

General Zaroff, he is condescending and arrogant. He possesses arrogant capital, such as his learning, the hounds, Ivan the Giant, etc. So he did not put Rainsford in his eyes at the beginning. He did not treat him as an opponent, always with a tease. Even if he loses in the end, his attitude is still high."I congratulate you," he said. "You have won the game."

回复
  • 82220336张子悦 12-10

I think Rainsford is bridle-wise and knowledgeable, because he set a lot of traps, such as the Malay man-catcher, the Burmese tiger, and what he learned in Uganda. Of course, he kept the memory in France during WWI, which made him experienced. He is composed and brave that he always said 'keep my nerve' to keep himself calm even when the danger is coming very closely.

I think the general Zaroff is a conflicted being, he is so crazy to think about such a game where lives are at stake. As he said ' May I venture to suggest that you will find my idea of sport more interesting than Ivan's ?' ,we can see he is very hypocritical. Also, he is cold-blooded, he didn't think Ivan's life was as important as his hounds. But, at the same time, he is well-bred, we can see from that he had a deep courtly bow, hummed a bit from Madame Butterfly, lived in a big chateau.

回复
  • 82220334张艺钦 12-10

I think Rainsford is smart and brave.Despite the dangerous circumstances he was in, he was able to calm himself down as much as possible and use his military knowledge of World War I against Zaroff.Traps he laid out like Malay man catcher, Burmese tiger pit were useful.

Zaroff is condescending.He thinks that no one can defeat him, and deliberately teased Rainsford when he tracks him, just to enjoy some more pleasure in hunting down his prey.

回复

添加回复