课程特色

视频(29)
讨论(16)
考试(16)
文档(19)
下载资料(11)

电影(Troy)观后感!

By 李惠胤 老师 2020-04-22 3836次浏览

Hector 和Archilles一直是我喜欢的两位人物,一位是特洛伊城邦的王子,英俊勇敢,最欣赏他的有担当;另一位则是是海洋女神忒提斯(Thetis)和凡人英雄珀琉斯(Peleus)之子。电影Troy (2004) 诠释一个脍炙人口妇孺皆知的神话故事, 讲述了无法逃避自身悲剧命运的英雄。电影中既有战争和死亡,也有温情和尊严。在课程Unit 5 Heroes in Greek Mythology中,新加入一个课时Movie Troy,是电影Troy的一个片段:Hector与Archilles的对决。请观看后写下自己的感想,相互交流一下。语言可以用中文,也可以用英文!

152 回复

• 李惠胤 老师 2020-04-22

补充一点: Hector在荷马史诗中是位了不起的英雄,因为年代久远,since Hector was a pup这个短语就自然而然地引申为“自从很久以前”。但奇怪的是自17世纪以来,hector的词义发生了意想不到的变化,作为动词表示“威吓、欺凌”,作为名词则表示“虚张声势的人、恃强凌弱的人”。

收起
    • 付昱禎 2020-05-05
      In this clip, Hector is the character that impresses me the most. He was just a mortal without super power but he was an elite and lived his life to the utmost. I think the most touching and heart-breaking moment is when Achilles took off Hector's helmet and Hector heard Odysseus’s prediction of the result of their duel. Although knowing that he will be killed by Achilles, he walked out of the gates of Troy to fight for his dignity, his people and his country. This kind of courage is not the result of recklessness but a painful decision result from his love towards his country and rational choice for greater good. The ending is of no doubt that Hector was not as competitive as Achilles who was a god and he was stabbed to death. Tragic as it is, Hector deserved to be called as a hero for that he bravely fought for his people and defended his country.
    • 黄嘉炜 2020-05-06
      In this duel to the death, we can see a tall Hector with dignity, honor and responsibility.He was a hero, a hero of Troy, a hero in every sense of the word, but also a hero living in a tragic world!Even though Hector knew he was about to be shot by Achilles, he walked out of the gates of Troy to fight.It was not an impulse on his part, but a choice he had made to protect his dignity and honor, to protect his family and to defend Troy.
  • 徐灏 2020-04-29

Hector killed Archilles's friend, Patroclus, which cause his death. 

When the Troy broke out, Hector is the only hope for his country, because his brother is weak. He was smart and brave, and he continued to cause heavy damage to the Greek army. However, when he killed Patroclus and snatched Archilles's armor, the death of Hector was appoching. He fighted for his country, everything he did just want to strengthen national power and maintain family dignity. He can motivate the soldiers with high spirits, he can also calmly face the fact that he is about to die.

Compared to Hector, Archilles seem to be worse in character and responsibility. He could have lived his life safely but he chose to participate in Troy. However, he chose to participate in the war not for the national honor, not for the people, he was only want to show his power and to be famous. He looks arrogant and violent, but he has this confidence. Of course, people are multifaceted. He may not have national justice, but he pays attention to friendship and love. He also grew up in this war.

收起
  • 18行管_叶晓霞 2020-04-30

Hector:

The choice: stay alive & fight to protect Troy and grory.  Finally, he chose gave up the chance to stay alive and chose to fight to protect Troy and grory.

I think he is courageous and his outlook on life is detached. Although he knew he would die during the fight, he still chose to fight heroically and face death. He is also very responsible for his family and people. Although the fuse of the Trojan War was the elopement of Paris and Helen, Hector still choose to fight for Troy and the grory, which is very tragic and heroic. In a word, I think he can be described in such a sentence, Life is sincere and honorable price is higher.

Archillies:

The choice: Revenge for his friend Patroclus & Stay away from war and enjoyment. He chose to fight for his friend.

He is the most powerful warrior in the Greek coalition. It is said that his mother Thetis pinched his ankle and soaked him in the Styx River, which makes him invulnerable, except his heels.  He values honor and he doesn’t care about the gold and fame that battle can bring him. When Achilles' booty slave girl was taken away by Agamemnon, Achilles felt that his honor was greatly insulted, so he left the camp angrily, claiming that he would never take part in the fight again if Agamemnon didn't apologize in public. He values his friends. As his best friend Patroclus was killed by Hector, he resolutely entered the war and killed Hector.

回复
  • 梁展聪 2020-04-30

Hector has the most important character which a leader needs to have, collective consciousness and the spirit of self-sacrifice . Hector fought for his country, his people and his family while Achilles mostly fought for his own honor.

Hector is more composed which is also an essential character a leader should have. Before his last war, he analyzed the circumstance clearly. For instance, he was fully aware that the gods were not tending to Troy and they are in a disadvantageous situation. He knew that it's almost impossible to win but he still kept calm and arranged things orderly. First, he took off his helmet, hugged and kissed his young child and then shouted to plead all the gods to bless the child a healthy and happy life. Finally, he asked his wife to take care of the child, told her not to be sad and encouraged her to educate the child in the future. As you can see, Hector still made a considerate thought on such an emergent and sad occasion and I think this little detail can fully reflect that Hector is very composed and thoughtful.

Compared with Hector's "positive", Achilles appears to be very "evil", unrestrained, playful, and rebellious. At first I thought Achilles was just an unawed rascal who took pleasure in killing people, but that's far from the truth. His wildness was a contempt for theocratic authority. In his eyes, the gods were just a group of people who were manipulating the fate of human beings, not worthy of worship. He would have no qualm about beheading the statue of Apollo, fighting for ancient Greece and rebelling. He knew what he was fighting for, first for the glory of Greece, then against Hector for the loss of his kin, and finally against Agamemnon for the protection of his lover. A true warrior is never one who is fearless, but one who knows what he is truly afraid of. Achilles was afraid of the loss of his own glory, the death of his cousin, the separation of his lover, so he would do his best to guard, even against the heroic Hector, the omnipotent Agamemnon, the mighty Apollo. I think that's what heroes look like in westerner's eyes.

回复
  • 夏筱婵 2020-04-30

Hector and Archilles ’s one-on-one hit is the most impressive plot in this film. After Hector killed Archilles ’s best friend, Archilles was angry and sworn to avenge for his friend. Though Hector could refuse the challenge and relied his armies to protect himself, he chose to meet challenge having a fight with the demigod Archilles. Avoiding is useful but shameful. Thought hector died, he still kept his honor and respect. In addition, Archilles was also a brave and loyal friend. He chose to fight for his friend and he won.

回复
  • 黎定佳 2020-04-30

The duel between them was almost one-sided and without any suspense. Before the war, the mother of the goddess of Achilles asked for a nearly perfect armor from the God of fire and forging, Hephaestus. Then there was a famous race around the city wall in three circles. Then Athena turned into Hector's brother to lure Hector to fight against Achilles, who could not enter the city. He even pulled up the spear thrown by Achilles and gave it back to Achilles, which made Hector even the final victory No, then Achilles, who was familiar with his weakness in armor, stabbed Hector in the throat with the tip of his spear, coldly refused Hector's plea, tied his body to a chariot and dragged it back to the Greek camp.

I think he is brave. Before the duel, he said “If I dodge the battle like a coward, I will be helpless in front of my father and brother in Troy and Trojan Women in long skirts. My heart will not agree with me. I know the behavior of the brave, brave and tenacious, and always fight with the brave front row of Troy, for myself, but also for my father, to win great glory.”

回复
  • 李雨璇 2020-04-30

Hector and Achilles, before the Troy’s gate, on a vast and lonely desert filed, winds growled for their miserable battle. Citizens and nobles stand on the tower seeing this doomed tragedy, a doomed death, for Hector. Hector has normal human body, different from Achilles, son of the sea goddess Thetis and the mortal hero Peleus, who is invulnerable to all but the deadly clefts of his feet and his heels, and impenetrable to the gods, his fight with Achilles is definitely a lose to him. Facing such a rival, Hector didn’t stay back. He well-armed himself, bayonet in his hand, shield in his arm, he was prepared. But how brave he is to make up his mind, he actually had a chance to refuse and let his army to protect him, he still fight for his country, fight for his family, fight for his dignity. On the contrast, gifted by gods, enjoys a peaceful and honor life, Achilles seems no need to afraid of anything, however, step out of his comfort zone, is a brave action for him. Not afraid of death, isn’t the only thing should be concerned, the courage to change oneself, is the most valuable thing.

回复
  • 行管1801何程诗曼 2020-04-30

In my opinion, Hector had no choice but to protect his country. He had to take the responsibility of saving the whole country and all his civils. But it seemed that he still had an alternative--that is to escape and abandon his country. However, he carried on not only for his place, but also his own dignity. Maybe in his mind, he would rather die in fighting for the nation than escape or be a slave, living in humiliation. He was really a existentialist.

As for Achilles, I think he was a hero who just wanted to be written in the history. He was not fighting for dignity or any nations. His only purpose was to satisfy himself by attaining glory.  He is a typical symbol of individualism, and also have a unique understanding of existentialism-- seize own glory or die. 

回复
  • 马尧 2020-04-30

Hector is the prince of the city of Troy. If he doesn't represent the country to fight, he can survive his life, but he chooses to fight bravely for the country and the people. Hector is a responsible and brave man. He loves his country and can go to war regardless of his own life. Even though he knows the result of the war with Archilles, he insists fighting to the last second. I am deeply impressed by his words "honor the God, love your women, and defer your country!". He has his own beliefs and principles and is willing to give everything for it.

Archilles could have lived a comfortable life with his powerful ability, but he had an ambition for honor, so he chose to fight. Fate has shaped his character and doomed his extraordinary. In my opinion, Archilles is naive and heroic, but his bravery is different from Hector's. His bravery comes from his ability, but lacks inner spiritual strengt

回复
  • 广告1801雷烙 2020-05-01

Hector:

Hector faces a choice between being a carefree prince and being a warrior fighting for his nation. He chose the latter.

Hector was filial his father , concerned about his brother and kind to his wife and child. He is a very responsible person, he could live as a prince without annoyance, but he chose to assume the responsibility of defending the country and fight with the Greek coalition for 10 years. He even won the admiration of the enemy. In contrast to Achilles, he is apparently a collectivist and a democrat. Besides, Hector is a very brave hero who is not afraid to die. As a mortal, he chose to duel with Achilles who is demigod, even though he knew that he was facing the inevitable death. I really appreciate him.

Achilles:

Achilles faced a choice between a long and comfortable life and revenge for his good friend Patroclus. Eventually he chose revenge.

Although Achilles seems to be emotive and righteous due to his revenge for his best friend, which makes him look like a hero, I don't really like him. Demigod, he had clear cognition of his own advantages, he though he had been endowed with the power of fighting. But he didn’t fight for the nation but for his own glory and honor causing he drowned himself into slaughter. He is definitely a individualistic heroism which can be seen from that he arrogantly dragged Hector’s body around the city to show off after he killed Hector . At the same time it also revealed his brutality and bloodiness.

回复
  • 麦钊婷 2020-05-01

They are both bravemen in my view. Hector killed Achilles ‘ friend and Achilles found Hector to revenge.Hector could choose to stay in the city and did not fight with Achilles ,but he chose  to accept the challenge to fight like a man. I really appreciate Hector ‘s bravery. Achilles is of righteousness because he would like to fight for his friend. Facing the sword inside his body,he never scares it and meets the challenge bravely. Both of them are appriciated.

In my opinion,Hector and Achilles can cope with the problems bravely,which we need in our life. There is no doubt that we will meet different problems in our life time. It is impossible for us to get away from every challenges. So,the courage is needed. Only when we have the courage first can we solve the problem then.

回复
  • 陈学敏 2020-05-01

Achilles, a natural warrior, fought for his heart and his reputation. Honor, that's why the rebellious Achilles fought for it. He could have stayed away from war and enjoyed a happy family, but he fought for honor. Hector is a good man in my heart. He is willing to give everything for his brother and country. He is brave, kind and strong. He does what he should do. When Achilles could ignore tens of millions of Greek army because of his own contradiction, but he could not resist the war, Hector had to give up his wife and son, and bear the ignominious war responsibility for his brother who caused the disaster. Only head-on, although he died in Achilles' sword at last, could not change the fact that he was a great hero. Unlike Achilles, a natural warrior, Hector's strength comes from his sense of responsibility and mission.

回复
  • 吴韵诗 2020-05-01

Although Achilles and Hector lived in different countries, they were heroes of their own nation and had heroic characters. They faced the war bravely and never flinched.

But Achilles was a man in battle, and his valor was distinguished by his personal valor, which was often cruel and bloody. I think his victory was just an expression of his personal desire for glory. In contrast, Hector's valor was built on fighting a bloody battle for his country and his people. He was a hero, but also a leader, for his benevolent manner was unmatched by Achilles. In the face of the war caused by Paris, he is a hero brother, took on the unknown war, brave and fearless. Before Achilles fought alone, when he knew he was going to be Achilles' ghost, he walked out of the gates of Troy to fight.

回复
  • Lorraine 2020-05-01

Hector and Achilles are two typical heroes in the ancient Greek mythology. Both of them gave up the peaceful and easy life, fighting each other with courage and belief.

Hector, the prince of Troy, born to the purple. He could have a nice and enjoyable life but held the duty to protect all his citizens and maintain the glory of Troy. So he had no regret and shame, even he was killed by Achilles. It is the best ending for him, worshipful and respectable. I think all his people would be pride of their leader—an extraordinary man with a brave heart.

While Achilles, a man fight for own glory, is an excellent figure too. Viewing glory as one’s life is undoubtedly the most holy mission to a man. And Achilles did it exactly. He gave up his original life and came to Troy with ambition. From my point of view, he is a real hero even though he is somewhat arrogant and individualism.     

All in all, they are both valued to be appreciated and praised.

回复
  • 国经1802林俊延 2020-05-01

Hector is the princess, the most brave person, and the leader of Troy. In his life he faced the dilemma. One choice is to bravely fight Achilles in the dual, which would enhance troop morale no matter what the result is, if he die the  troop will revenge for him with rage and if he win ,the troop will be inspired, however, this choice will risk his life. Another choice is to avoid the dual and stay in the fortress, which is safe but will bring down morale of the army. Hector, for the interest of the country and the victory of the whole war, choose to fight with Achilles. Although he died in the end, he is worthy of people's respect, and will be remembered by people forever.

Achilles is the son of Peleus and Thetis, is the Demigod the same as Hercules. He also face a dilemma whether to participate in  the battle. His beloved maid is robbed by the king Agamenon which lead his absence of the initial battles. Finally he decided to join the war to revenge for his friend. We can see that he is a person loyal to friendship and his acts in the war make his life meaningful.

回复
  • 陈秋玉 2020-05-02

Hector is the princess and the first warrior of Troy, also, he is a wife's husband. He must protect his country and it is his responsibility to give his family a peace and happy life. When Achilles challenge him, he choose to protect his country and fight for them. Achilles is the son of pelus, the hero of Argo, and Tethys, the goddess of the sea. He won every battle on the battlefield, when his friend was killed, he determined to avenge him.

Hector is a brave hero. Even though he knew that it was a war doomed to failure, he resolutely stepped forward for the sake of tribes, people and relatives. Hector is not only a mortal who is completed by fate and tragedy, love and blood, but also a tragic hero forged by fierce battle and limited life.

Achilles is also a brave hero. He value friendship and put the commitment to friends above all else.

回复
  • 国经1802赖丹琦 2020-05-02

The decisive battle between Hector and Achilles implies two decisions. One is that Hector chose national pride rather than his own life, the other is that Achilles chose friendship rather than his peaceful and warless life.

For Hector, he still walked alone out of the gate and fought with Achilles though it had been prophesied that he would die in this battle. As a prince and commander in chief, he fought for his country, the whole Troy, and was powered by the sense of responsibility and mission to Troy. That’s why he was known as “the wall of Troy”. By contrast, Achilles refused to go out to fight for personal conflict, which showed his willfulness and lack of the sense of responsibility and national pride.

For Achilles, he cried painfully for his friend Patroclus who was killed by Hector and determined to revenge Patroclus without hesitation. He might even never consider that the battle would break his peaceful and comfortable life as he attached much more importance to friendship than himself. This showed the kind and soft side of Achilles.   

In conclusion, Hector was the representative of collective heroism while Achilles represented individual heroism. Meanwhile, both of them were outstanding warriors.

回复
  • 胡心怡 2020-05-02

Both were heroes of the Trojan war.They were born in different countries and fought for their own country in the Trojan war.I believe they knew the dangers of war, but they still chose to battle with courage and determination.

Achilles, the son of ocean goddess Thetis and the mortal hero Peleus, was a hero who had a strong spirit of adventure in Trojan war. Hector, the prince of Troy, was the first warrior of Troy and was known as the wall of Troy. As enemies, they were destined to meet on the battlefield. At last, Hector was killed by Achilles and Achilles was shot with an arrow because of Achilles’ heel.

Generally speaking, Achilles and Hector have same images and different images. They are heroes, but Achilles’s bravery is personal bravery, which is always accompanied by cruelty and bloodiness. His victory is just an expression of his personal desire for honor. By contrast, Hector’s bravery is built on his fighting with other warriors. He led the warriors in killing enemies. I like later more.

回复
  • 陈波帆 2020-05-02

For Hector:Even if it is powerful, you are still subject to others without getting rid of the control of others!

For Achilles:Even the most powerful people have disadvantages

回复
  • 周顺锦 2020-05-02

Both Hector and Archilles are Greek heroes. In my opinion, Hector is represent collectivism, and Archilles is represent individualism.

Hector:

When all men fight for their own personal gain, he is the only one who disdains the high honor and the right of war. During the Trojan war, Hector thought he had done his best to protect the people of Troy, so it was not terrible to die in the war.

Archilles:

Archilles’ personality is multidimensional and complex. The three peaks of the character triangle of Archilles are the selfless fighting spirit, the warm and kind feelings and the sensitive consciousness of defending personal dignity. They met on battlefield, at last, Hector was killed by Achilles and Achilles was shot with an arrow because of Achilles’ heel.

回复
  • 林挺 2020-05-02

The trigger for the Trojan war was the affair between Paris and Helen. It was none of Hector’s business. In addition, Hector was the great prince of Troy. He totally could stay in the rear and doesn’t need to risk his life. But he chose to go to the front line and fight for his country and citizen. It was a very heroic act. When he stood on the ground before the gate of Troy, he was ready to fight with a demi-god, Achilles. The outcome of the battle was predictable, because he just a human and he couldn’t win the demi-god. But in my opinion, he rose above the mortal at that moment and got everyone's respect.

Achilles, a demi-god. He also can have a great life because of his status. But he chose to fight, although the process is complicated. At the very beginning, Achilles had an argument with Agamemnon over Agamemnon's taking of Achilles' prize, so he angrily left the camp, and would never fight again unless Agamemnon made a public apology. I think it was a very naive behavior. He put his personal dignity over the nation affairs. More and more Greek soldiers died in the front line because Achilles refuse to fight. Finally, his friend Patroclus had to join the war to save Greek soldiers by wearing his armor. Then Patroclus got killed, this forced Achilles to fight again. At last, he won the war with his heroic fight.

回复
  • 国经1802曾耀庭 2020-05-02

Hector, is the prince of Troy, which makes him face two choices towards the fight. As a prince, he can stay behind the wall
    and refuse the challenge of Archilles. He can also go out to fight with Archilles as the hope of his country. We know, he finally chose the latter. He had his own family, but he still risked his life to fight against enemy because he also had his country and people. The love for them made him take responsibility for protecting them bravely no matter how powerful the enemy was. He was killed in the end but won the pride in nature. He deserved to be called the prince of Troy and loved by his people.
    Archilles, the hero of the Greek army, also faced choices that whether coming back to the fight. What caused him to 
    make a decision to combat again was the death of his best friend, Patrocloss. He valued his friendship so that he came back and took revenge for his friend even at the cost
    of his peaceful life. His solo declaration of fight against Hector and words during the fight also show his dignity as a warrior.
    Both of them can be regarded as a hero. Their final decisions for a country or a person are worthy of being respected whatever the result is. 

回复
  • 何心怡 2020-05-02

Hector:

Choice: There were two choices for Hector, live a peaceful life or fight for his country. Between these two choices, he chose to fight for his country.

Hector is one of the greatest heroes of Troy. When his wife begged him out of the war, he refused and said that it is glorious to fight for Troy and he won't allow himself to run away cowardly. He is a responsible man. As an elder brother, when his brother brought Helen to Troy, he bravely resisted the attack of the Greeks instead of blaming his brother. As a fighter, he decided to fight with Achilles in front of the gate rather than escape. Everything he did is for his country and people but not himself. He is a hero for himself, his family, his country and his people. However, when he killed Patroclus, Achilles’s best friend, he was doomed to die.

Achilles:

Choice: There were two choices for Achilles, live a peaceful life or fight for his honor. Between these two choices, he chose to fight for his honor.

Achilles is a hero of Greece. He is brave and good at war. But different from Hector, Achilles’ fighting is mainly for himself. So on the one hand, he is selfish to some extent. However, objectively, he won many honors for Greece although it's not his intention. On the other hand, he is an affectionate but cruel man. When he heard of his best friend Patroclus’ death, he was angry and went to Hector to take revenge for Patroclus at once. After he overcame Hector, he dragged Hector’s body in a chariot back to the Greek camp, instead of returning the body to Troy.

回复
  • 郭俞智 2020-05-02

The choices of Hector are refusing to fight with Achilles and survive or facing his fate and die . Finally , he chose the latter and die gloriously . In my view , Hector was a hero . As known as the first warrior of Troy , he was not afraid of all challenges even though the fate . 
    The choices of Archilles are staying away from the war or fighting for his intimate . Finally , he also chose the latter and won reputation . In my view , Archille full of human nature . Thongh he felt humiliated to have been robbed of his prize ,he was still willing to lay down his shame and fight for his intimate . It endeared him to me .

回复
  • 国贸1803廖英键 2020-05-02

Hector chose to fight for his brother and his country, and he died. Achilles could have stayed away from the war, but when he heard of the death of his best friend Patroclus, he was angry and went to Hector to avenge patroclus. After defeating Hector, he dragged his body in a chariot back to the Greek camp.

Overall, the two heroes are very different. Hector fought for others. He was a hero of his country. Achilles, on the other hand, many of his heroes acted a little selfishly, was based on his own feelings. His pursuit of victory and defence of his convictions were even a little frightening. So I appreciate Hector's love and responsibility more.

回复
  • 国贸1803宋董涛 2020-05-03

Hector is a mortal hero who took part in the Trojan War in Homer's Iliad. The prince of Troy, the first warrior of Troy, and the commander of Troy in the Trojan War. His choice was to fight against Achilles and survive, but in the face of his own fate, he finally dueled with Achilles, the first warrior of the Greek allied army, and died in the hands of the other side due to the ruling and fate of the gods.

回复
  • 林卓芬 2020-05-03

They were the tragic heroes of the Trojan War. They face the choice of fighting for their country or for themselves.

Hector was a collectivist. He was patriotic, responsible and honorable. Hector was also a person with the spirit of self-sacrifice and collective consciousness who fought for his country, his people and his family. He was a good leader and cared about the soldiers. He hated war but had to fight for his country. Even though he knew he was going to die, he went into battle without hesitation.

Achilles was an individualist. Undeniably, he was also a great hero, but he did not fight for his country, but for his own honor. He valued his honor above the victory of the war. Of course Achilles was a great fighter, but anyway he was so willful that he left the whole troop behind because he thought Agamemnon trampled his dignity and he didn’t think about that the army might lose because of his action. Achilles scorned the divine right and refused to worship a self-righteous god. But he's also a man who values relationships, and the death of his friend sends him back to the battlefield, killing Hector. Achilles is afraid of the loss of his glory and the separation of his lover, so he will try his best to guard it, even against a strong opponent.

回复
  • 黄伊琳 2020-05-03

Hector:

Hector is the prince of Troy, and a husband. He engages in the Troy war sturdily in spite of the begging of his wife. Accepting the bettle offer from Archilles although the hope to win is slim. As a prince, he could has comfortable and relaxing life, but his sense of responsibility to the people of Troy makes him brave enough to fight in person. He is beloved to his country and his people, in turn, his people support and trust him.

Archilles:

Archilles is a hero. Before the Troy war, his mother uses many ways to avoid the attendance of Archilles, however, Archilles engages in the Troy war finally. In the meanwhile, Archilles used to quit the war. Due to the sacrifice of his best friend, he decides to back to the war. Maybe Archilles is forced to enter the war, but the performance in the war and the reture to the war, indicate the brave and willpower of Archilles. For the Greece, he is a hero. 

回复
  • 国经1801温佰浩 2020-05-03

In existentialism, everything is originally meaningless, possessions, life and even the world. What shapes the value of these matters depends on the things we do. And most of the time, we have to do these things when reaching the tipping point. We may feel irresolute about which path we should take, the easier one or the tougher one? Anyway, we still have to make a choice eventually.

There were once two options for Achilles and Hector. One is to fight while the other is to evade. Heroically, both Achilles and Hector chose to undertake their respective responsibilities and combat. The heroism was thoroughly embodied in them. And I hold that it should be acclaimed.

Achilles couldn’t have to participate in the war again after Agamemnon took away his trophy (concubine). He’s already a hero who had glorious record and was admired by the masses. It was also exactly what Thetis, mother of Achilles wanted, leading a tranquil life away from disputes and irksome warfare. However, after knowing the oracle that death will ensue if he slays the prince of Troy, he still chose to revenge for his beloved friend Patroclus.

Likewise, Hector could have circumvented the combat by hiding himself behind the wall, thus he could keep his life and continue to live with his families. However, the evasion might be regarded as a kind of coward act, therefore making the royal family or even the whole Troy ashamed. Intrepidly, Hector responded to Achilles challenge thereby defending his dignity and glory, even though he knew that it would be a one-way trip.

From my point of view, the unexpected death of Patroclus was just a trigger. Killing Hector was more than vengeance but more importantly for glory, and for Achilles’ heroic value of life. Similarly, Hector knew that what he should do was to fight the formidable rival and to maintain his value, for bravery was universally upheld by then. Both of them did not curled up and do nothing but faced the challenges and undertook their responsibilities positively. They improved, either created themselves through these trials.

The road might be arduous. But every step they took on the trek marked their existences and values. Both Achilles and Hector took the tougher path, fighting for glory. And it was by doing so that they shaped their meaning of life from a meaningless world.

回复
  • 赖海珊 2020-05-03

Hector is a prince and backbone of his country, he has no choice but to fight for his country's dignity and glory. Fortunately, he is proud of his destiny and his call of duty derived from his identity and his status. He is willing and brave to fight and protect people he cherishes, his death is respected, solemn and stirring. 

And as for  Achilles, compared to Hector, his choice of fighting seems a little selfish, because his aim is to be famous and remembered in the history, he is fighting for his own fame not national honor. But apart from this, he also fights for his friend,w ho was killed by Hector, to revenge for him and for Troy's rival. In this way, readers can tell his cherish of friendship and courage. No matter how, Achilles has shown his capability and value.

Based on my shallow understanding of existentialism, my point of view is that both of thier choices are reasonable and meaningful, which have achieved thier own aspirations. So i don't want to critisize either of them.

回复

添加回复