广东外语外贸大学
讲师

课程特色

视频(29)
讨论(16)
考试(16)
文档(19)
下载资料(11)

【UMOOCs有奖问答】很多英文名字都是来源于圣经!你的英文名是什么呢?一起来分享你的“取名经”吧!

By UMOOCs课代表 2020-05-08 1504次浏览

【奖励规则】课程截止前,课代表会在每个【有奖问答】帖下挑选5位获奖者,赠送Unipus定制礼品。快来参与吧~~

14 回复

• UMOOCs课代表 2020-05-08

【奖励规则】课程截止前,课代表会在每个【有奖问答】帖下挑选5位获奖者,赠送Unipus定制礼品。快来参与吧~~

回复
  • 陈思莹 2020-05-10

Nancy.

Nothing special,just because of a film I saw before. The heroine is Nancy. I appreciate the heroine so I get my English name. 
    cheekyheart

回复
  • 董欢 2020-05-11

Cris

It means "short sword".The impression of this name is  clear, direct and agile. I hope I can become strong, keep approaching my goal, and become better.

回复
  • 陈艾林 2020-05-11

My English name is Irene which bears a similar pronunciation to my Chinese name. Regret is that it's not mentioned in the Bible any person whose name is Irene. However, Irene is derived from Greek word "eirene" which means peace and harmony. Additionally, eirene is widely used in the New Testament.

回复
  • 黄伊琳 2020-05-12

My English name is Elaine. Because when junior high school music teacher read my Chinese name, he sang the Franch song Je m'appelle Hélène(我的名字叫伊莲). I think that maybe a suitable name for me so that I sometimes use it for my English name. 

回复
  • 赖海珊 2020-05-12

My English teacher in elementary school named me Penny, it' the abbreviation of Penelope. It's a symbol of silent weaver, a man of wealth and flower as well as fractional monetary unit of Ireland and the United Kingdom . I am not sure whether it comes from bible.  People called Penny are deemed to be vigorous, beatific, talkactive and imaginative.

回复
  • 刘烨 2020-05-14

Constance.

Actually my friends and family always call me Connie in short. It's a name from the first black female judge in British history---Constance Briscoe. I admire her so much, and have read her book Ugly Child for many times, which made a great impact on my life. Partly because of this great woman, I decide to major in law, and have never regretted for it so far.

She was, is and will be always in my heart.

回复
  • 钟文苑 2020-05-14

Viola

To be honest, I struggled with choosing a name last year because I'm a stickler and I'm unwilling to change it without any particular requirements. I collect countless names ranging from A~Z, I don't want to be like a majority of people else with a popular name, so I eliminated the ones I thought were common one by one. Eventully, as I struggled to find the meaning of those names, I saw "Viola" which has caught my eyes. I later discovered that it was derived from the Latin word for violet, which means naturally sensitive and appreciative of all sorts of beautiful things, but lack of stability, love the outdoors, hate being tied down. I'm so thrilled as I got the treasure because that is me!!

Although the journey of choosing a name was long, fortunately I finally got my treasure of name!

回复
  • 刘妍萍 2020-05-16

My English name is Celina. At that time, the teacher introduced us some English names. I chose one of them, but I did n’t know its history. Later, I found someone on the Internet saying that this is the name of one of Atlas ’s seven daughters But I checked their names, they are Electra, Maia, Taygete, Alcyone, Merope, Celaeno and Sterope. I didn't find Celina, but I don't know if there are other aliases in it. I also found that Celina has Latin and Greek origins. Celina means "Heaven, Moon"

回复
  • 招颖怡 2020-05-18

Interestingly, I had used two English names, which were both introduced by my two English teachers---Sandy and Sarah

• SANDY

During my primary school period, my English teacher specifically recommended "Sandy" to me among a 40-size-student class.  At that time, I didn't know what 's the original meaning exactly. Then thanks to this task, I just checked out some information on the Internet for a little curiosity. After digging the root of this question, I finally knew a clue relating to the Bible. 

To tell "Sandy"'s story concerning Bible, I need to explain a key point: Sandy is Alexandra and Sandra in miniature.

According to the description online, from the new testament, The great herod who was regarded as a cruel king, once wanted to kill the Jesus after knowing the birth of Jesus. And his mother killed by himself is called "Alexandra",which is also the feminine form of Alexander ultimately derived from the Greek components alexein, meaning “to defend,” and anēr, “man.” In Greek mythology, Alexandra was an epithet of the goddess Hera. In astronomy, Alexandra is also a name of a minor planet--"哲女星" in Chinese.

Long story short tell, the original of "Sandy"---Alexandra is for protecting the men/human.

• SARAH

As for my another name---Sarah, suggested by my junior high school English teacher. She did initiate me into the world of beautiful English songs. Then I fall in love with "Sarah Connor"'s songs. After that, my teacher just gave me an advice, if you like she, Sarah, a  princess, the mother of faith and many nations, you can also name yourself Sarah. Due to the beautiful melody of Sarah's songs, I had another choice of English name.

With task-oriented searching, I eventually knew that Sarah is the wife of Abraham, the prophet of Judaism, Christianity and Islam, which is also the man chosen by God.

In short, Sarah is the princess and the mother of faith, and she also is the mother of many countries.

• CONCLUSION

To sum up, Sarah and Sandy also need to take some shoulder/responsibility on behalf of their country or their home, they are required to protect her people in their domain. So, maybe I will introduce myself by seeing different situations. For example, when I want to win some faith or confidence, may be I prefer Sarah to Sandy mainly protecting someone.

回复
  • 杨时燕 2020-06-07

My English name is Yanni,because the last of my Chinese name is Yan. At the same time, Yanni ia alao the nanme of Marx's wife, I envy their love story very much. The name of Yanni was given to me by a foren friend ,I like it very much when I heard it.

回复
  • 代玉露 2020-06-08

In my high school, one day my English teacher let us to choose our own English name, I remember I choose the Cornia casually, after that the English teacher let me into her office and said crystal is so suitable for me, glittering and translucent, clear as crystal, so she hopes me think about it again, so I call the English name crystal with the gender, I found out later ,the crystal has a meaning, talented but too hide yourself. I am very grateful to her, and got along with she three years. 

回复
  • 李冠娟 2020-06-08

My name is Amanda. The root of the word means love. A lovely person. She was considered conservative, beautiful, slender, sweet and rich

回复
  • 幸运女孩 2020-06-11

My English name is dewi, which means The goddess. Why i have This name is that my friends think me very kindness and a little simple. Therefore, my friends like to asked Me dewi.

回复

添加回复