南京师范大学中北学院
讲师

课程特色

视频(50)
练习(41)
作业(8)

Unit 3 Unit Discussion

By 胡宜雯 老师 04-24 554次浏览

After analyzing the text by the teacher, how do you like the essay? Can you give any examples of writing that shows the author's literary talent? Explain your opinions.

60 回复

• 王子熠 04-25

Yes, I like this essay. The article is beautifully written and humorous at the same time, showing the author's excellent writting style and skills. First of all, from the whole article, the author adopts the method of "want to praise but pretend to criticize first". At the beginning of the article, the author pretends that he can't understand why so many people would like to keep a garden, but then he explains why he loves to do it in a clear and logical way. This writing technique not only attracts the readers' interest, but also deepens the readers' thinking. Secondly, the author's language is also very humorous. He writes"In some cases,as with beans and cucumbers,your children ---as it were,begin to turn upon you in massive numbers,growing more and more each morning and threatening to follow you into the house to strangle you in their vines." This phrase uses the skills of exaggeration and personification to vividly portray the vibrant and savage growth of beans and cucumbers.

收起
  • 戚国珍 04-25

I think this article is full of literature.The author uses irony in writing the whole article.On the surface, it shows that the author is not sure whether he likes gardening or not, but in fact it has the effect of stimulating the reader's interest and maintaining the mystery.In the second paragraph of the article, the author uses personification such as the birds begin screaming hysterically, thinking what i am thinking. And In the sixth paragraph, personification and exaggeration are used ,for example, the author says that beams and cucumbers can turn upon you in massive numbers and that their vines can strangle you. This way of writing makes the article lively and interesting and allows the reader to feel like they are there.In the seventh paragraph of the passage, the author says that his wife is the mistress of the garden. There is a sense of humor here that can make the article read without getting bored

回复
  • 82230103陈曼妮 04-25

The author uses figures of speech like irony and personfication.These add vividness and interest to the article.From this essay,we know that this essay was written by author on one of the coldest days in December.Although the weather was cold then,author insisted on writing essay about gardening.It expresses that the author's love for gardening.I am deeply touched by this love for interests.It also expresses the author's hope for the coming spring.I think that"gardening"can represent other issues in our life.When we deal with these issues,we may face many troubles.But we should still have a hope for the coming success.

For example,in this sentence"Also,your paternal or maternal instincts come into play because helpless living things are depending on you,require training and encouragement and protection from enemies.".It uses personification to alive these plants.they act like childern,and these gardeners are like parents.It is really vivid.  

回复
  • 82230106杜淼淼 04-25

I think this article is humorous and the author has a high level of literature.The author used comparison and irony.At first,he said he did not like gardening,he liked eating meat and he did not understand why people need to garden,but then he expressed his love of gardening.This writing technique can attract readers' interest in reading.Moreover,the author used personification and exaggeration.For example,in paragraph six,the author personified vegetables and vividly expressed that plants need our care.

回复
  • 86230850邹镇怡 04-26

The author uses some writing technics to show his literary talent.

In the first paragraph,using Irony "I have never understood Why we keep a garden and why over thirty six years ago When I bought my first house in the country, I started digging up a patch for vegetables before doing anything else."and comparison"I don't particularly like eating vegetables. I'd much rather eat something  juicy and fat."to emphasize the spring.

In the sixth paragraph,the sentence"Also, your paternal or maternal instincts come into play because helpless living things are depending on you,require training and encouragement  and protection from enemies."uses Personification .Besides,the author uses exaggeration,adverbial of manner and all that.

回复
  • 82230217李可佳 04-27

I like the way the author wrote the article. Such as first suppression and then exaltation, exaggeration, irony, etc. In many descriptions, the author seems to express no interest in gardening and fatigue, so as to confuse our eyes, but from the lines of the article, you can carefully taste his love and dedication to gardening, this writing is different from the general direct expression of love, but a roundabout and comparative expression, which is very attractive to me and makes me want to continue reading his article.

回复
  • 82230239赵自豪 04-27

The article uses irony and symbolic techniques to reflect the author's literary talent. Through symbolism and metaphor, the author constructs a vivid picture of nature, and shows the understanding and experience of life and nature through the think deeply about the origin and cultivation of his garden.
    For example, "there are few sights quite as beautiful as a vegetable garden glistening in the sun, all dewy and glistering with a dozen shades of green at seven in the   morning."The "shades of green "in the text symbolizes the life and hope in the garden, and can also indirectly shows the author's love for the garden.

回复
  • 82230117李念洋 04-27

I think this article is very interesting. The author uses a lot of figures of speech when he writes about his transformation of gardening. For example, In paragraph 4, he compares the black plastic with the mulch to show that he is not just trying to make the plants grow. He compares crops to children, and he is a parent. He cares about his crops like a parent cares about his children. He then used exaggeration to describe the growth of his crops and to show that he wanted them to thrive. In addition to these figures of speech, he also mentions growing hot dogs at the beginning, which I think is a very interesting topic, and also echoes the later part of his love of gardening. 

回复
  • 82230123吴计雪 04-27

I like this article, it highly reflects the author's literary talent.

At the beginning of the article, the author states that he does not like gardening,this kind of ironic writing attracts readers' interest.Then the author explaines his reasons for planting a garden in many ways, from the harvest of personal pleasure to the building of personal character, the reasons are deep and clear, and make the reader think.At the same time,he uses personification,such as "the sun means business""the birds begin screaming hysterically",it makes things  more vivid.

At the end of the article, the author explains that he write this article at this special time in December, full of hope for the coming spring, which echoes the title and sublimates the main idea.

The article generally uses irony, highlighting the author's love of planting and gardening.

回复
  • 82230142周田田 04-27

I love this essay. Here are some examples of writing that shows the author‘s literary talent. At the beginning of this essay, the author said that he did not like gardening, but as the essay went deeper, we found that the author liked planting. This kind of preemptive approach attracts readers' interest in reading. In the sixth paragraph, “In some cases, as with beans and cucumber, your children ——as it were, begin to turn upon you in massive numbers, growing more and more each morning and threatening to follow you into the house to strangle you in their vines.” In this sentence, the author uses verbs such as turn upon, and strangle. The author uses personification and exaggeration rhetoric to vividly describe the flourishing of fruits and vegetables in the garden.

回复
  • 82230125夏海燕 04-27

I like this essay.At the beginning of the artical,the author said that he didn't like gardening.But as the artical progresses,we learn that the author like gardening.This is compliment after criticism.In addition,the author uses irony, symbolism and other rhetorical devices in the article. For example, in symbolism, spring is used as a symbol, representing hope and bring out the theme. By depicting the coming of spring, the author conveys optimism about the future and love for life.The author describes the various feelings brought by nature to the author, and explains the reasons for his growing vegetables, the enjoyment of fun, the enhancement of sense of responsibility and the relationship between growing vegetables and people, and points out that vegetables are related to human spiritual activities and character formation, revealing the inseparable connection between man and nature.

回复
  • 82230129杨旎 04-27

I like this essay.The author uses many rhetorical devices in this esaay.For example,in paragraph 6,the author uses personification,makes beans and cucumbers personified.This makes the essay more vivid and engaging.And this part includes exaggeration as well.Also,the author uses words and expressions which seemed to show that he didn't love gardening on purpose.It is an irony.This can capture readers' attention,arouse readers' interest and deepen readers' thinking.It makes the essay more striking and profound.I think the two aspects can show the author's literary talent clearly.

收起
    • 胡宜雯 老师 25天前
      Obviously you listened to the teacher attentively and took very detailed notes! Goood to know that.
  • 82230114黄举仙 04-27

After the teacher's analysis, I appreciate "The Rite of Spring" even more. The author's literary talent is evident in various aspects of the essay.

Firstly, the author's use of vivid imagery is commendable. For instance, the description of the spring festival is filled with rich details that bring the scene to life. The colors, sounds, and movements are all captured brilliantly, making the reader feel as if they are present at the festival.

Secondly, the author's ability to blend the primal and the civilized is noteworthy. The essay explores themes of nature, fertility, and the cycles of life while also commenting on society and its rituals. This blend of the natural and the cultural adds depth and complexity to the narrative.

Lastly, the author's rhythmic writing style is another example of their literary talent. The essay flows smoothly, with sentences that vary in length and complexity, creating a harmonious reading experience. The use of repetition and parallelism also adds to the overall rhythm and structure of the piece.

In conclusion, "The Rite of Spring" is a masterpiece that showcases the author's literary talent in various ways. From vivid imagery to a blend of primal and civilized themes, and a rhythmic writing style, the essay is a joy to read and analyze.

回复
  • 82230237张梓玉 04-28

Yes, I like the essay. The author utilized many literary technologies in this article. For example, suppression of desire, personification and irony, etc. For example, at the beginning of the article, he pointed out that he didn't understand why it was so convenient to buy groceries now and why he had to put in effort to keep a garden. But later on, he began to slowly elaborate on the benefits and significance of keeping a garden. In the last paragraph of the article, he mentioned that he wrote it on the coldest day of December, which implied that he was looking forward to the arrival of spring and vibrant scenery in the garden. In the sixth paragraph, he mentioned that in some cases, as with beans and cucumbers, your children—as it were, begin to turn upon you in massive numbers, growing more and more each morning and threatening to follow you into the house to strangle you in their vines. This sentence compares beans and cucumbers to children and vividly illustrates keeping a garden is just like raising children, we need to invest a lot of time and effort.

回复
  • 82230134张舰之 04-28

Yes,I like this article andI think this article is very interesting. The author uses many writing technics to show his literary talent. For example,the  author used comparison and irony.On the surface ,he said he did not like gardening, but in fact it has the effect of arousing the reader's interest and maintaining the mystery.Next, in the last paragraph ,we can know that this article was written in December ,which is the coldest season of the year. However,the author still insists on writing this article on gardening. From here, we can see the author's love and dedication to gardening. He doesn't really hate gardening as it is written on the surface.

回复
  • 82230525闵杰 04-28

I like this article, the author uses the method of writing with desire to promote and suppress, and the tone of frustration in this chapter of the compendium at the beginning does not seem like he likes spring, but as you go slowly, you will find that the author actually likes spring. There are many beautiful sentences in the text, which are very vivid and vivid. And the author gives a deeper meaning to work, and he says that farming is a neurotic, ethical profession..For example,in paragraph 6,the author uses personification,makes beans and cucumbers personified.This makes the essay more vivid and engaging.And this part includes exaggeration as well.

回复
  • 82230408范秀瑶 04-28

As far as I am concerned, I think this article is full of poetry, vividly visualizing spring, presenting me with a vibrant picture of spring, as if it were immersive. The author's delicate description is also one of the reasons why I like this article.

For instance, in the second paragraph of the article, the author's detailed description of the fragrance of the earth in spring, the brilliance of the sunshine, the chirping of birds and the slowly climbing out of the melting soil by using anthropomorphic rhetoric to vividly present the vitality of spring, and the sun shines on everything, which effectively reflects the author's profound literary talent. . He does not face the beauty of the spring scene. Through the activities of animals and plants, he reflects the different charm of spring, which attracts my attention and is impressed by the author's energetic spring, so I love this essay very much.

回复
  • 刘皓82230418 04-28

I think this article is very good. The author's description of the scenery outside the window is witty and humorous, and there are deep meanings hidden everywhere. In addition, the author is also adept at using various rhetorical devices, such as rhetorical questions, metaphors, personification, etc. in the article. The author records the relics of spring through his own labor process in the land outside the window. In the ninth paragraph of the article, the author strongly expresses his persistence in planting flowers in April to explain the significance of April's existence. In the tenth paragraph of the article, the author uses an example of planting lettuce to express the deeper meaning of horticulture - shaping - by planting lettuce too deeply or without enough water。

回复
  • 82230107冯杉琪 04-28

I really like this article. The author uses an ironic writing technique, where the desire is to rise before the suppression. At the beginning, it seems to express a dislike for gardening, such as "I'd much more eat something juice and fat. Like the hot dogs." Next, the author describes the vibrant and beautiful scenery of spring, and then changes the tone, revealing their longing and desire for farming between the lines. The author's handling of the article in this way achieves a high artistic effect. For example, it attracts readers' interest in reading, delays the disclosure of the truth, and brings us deeper thinking. Moreover, the author's language is humorous, he uses personification, rhetorical questions and other techniques, making the article more vivid.

回复
  • 82230210何欣妍 04-28

Of course this article is very good. First of all, the author uses the writing technique of wanting to be proud first. On the surface, he has been writing that he does not like or understand planting vegetable gardens, but actually enjoys planting vegetables very much. Such description not only attracts readers' interest in reading, but also causes readers to think about it. Secondly, the author uses many rhetorical devices to add luster to the article, which reflects the author's strong ability of writing and language. "A garden is an extension of oneself - or selves - and so it has to be an arena where striving does not cease, but continues by other means. "It uses metaphor to express the shaping effect of the vegetable garden on people's spiritual character.

回复
  • 82230437夏周宇 04-28

I like this essay.When his wife's mother came to visit, though she had been outspoken, she now simply left with an understatement: "Tomatoes in damp soil tend more to get fungi." Then she left. The author said that despite the time and effort involved in gardening, he continues because he believes that gardening can reflect a person's spiritual outlook. And at the end of the article, the author admits that he wrote the article on the coldest days in December, indicating that his passion for gardening may be related to seasonal mood swings. The whole article is filled with ambivalent feelings about gardening - both love and hate, but ultimately have a complex about the land that you can't give up. Through in-depth reflection on gardening as a daily activity, the philosophy of human nature and life is revealed. The author employed rich metaphors and vivid descriptions, such as "the sun means bussiness,suddenly,and has a different,deeper yellow in its beams on the carpet.", and "the birds begin screaming hysterically, thinking what I am thinking ---the worming theirway through the melting soil". These descriptions not only bring the text to life, but also let the reader feel the author's complex feelings about gardening. Through the act of gardening, the author explores human instincts, hopes and disappointments, and connections to nature.

回复
  • 赵娜 04-28

I like this eassy,first of all,the author is very eye-catching,the title makes people think that he likes gardening very much ,but after reading the article,I found that he expressed it like he does not like taking care of plants ,After reading the whole  artice ,I really understood that the author likes gardening .The teacher mentioned the  autor's use of irony in explaining the article.This can make the essay more interesting and engaging,such as the first paragraph:Besides,I don't particularly like eating vegetables.I'd much rather eat something juicy and fat.Like hot dogs.Although he said so,we can see later that he grew a lot of vegetables

回复
  • 82230211胡怡帆 04-28

The article "The Rite of Spring" is full of literary charm and fully demonstrates the author's literary talent.
    First of all, the author has made the whole article mysterious and fascinating by choosing a unique theme - the sacrificial ritual of spring. Spring itself is a symbol of new life and hope, and the ritual of sacrifice represents the awe and respect that humans have for nature. Combining the two makes the topic of the article both in-depth and engaging.
    Secondly, the author uses vivid and delicate language when describing the scenes of spring and the sacrificial rituals. For example, through the depiction of the natural scenery of spring, the music, dance, and people's expressions during the ritual ceremony, the reader feels as if they are in the scene and feels the breath of spring and the solemnity of the ritual firsthand. This vivid depiction not only enhances the readability of the article, but also demonstrates the author's outstanding literary talent.

回复
  • 82230130殷姝 04-28

I like this essay and I think it is full of literary atmosphere and vitality. When describing the spring scenery, the author used personification rhetoric and employed a lot of detailed descriptions to vividly depict the vibrant scenery of spring. At the beginning of the essay,the author showed that he didn't really like gardening, but in the main text, the author also depicted the beautiful scenery and expressed praise, which used irony and also attracted readers' interest in reading. These writing techniques all show the author's literary talent.

回复
  • 82230131余子菡 04-29

This artical is very excellent. In the article, the author always emphasizes that he does not like gardening, which deeply arouses my interest in reading. In fact he really loved gardening,he use words and such expressions just for humorous effet, to hide his intense. Also to maintain mystery and delay the relation of the truth. For example, in paragraph 6, he used personification to describe beans and cucumbers. This paragraph got me thinking about gardening.  After reading this article, I started to plant impatiens to experience the taste of gardening.

回复
  • 82220620陆嘉佳 30天前

I think the article is very well written, and the author uses a lot of rhetorical devices. For example, the phrase "And the sun means business, suddenly, and has a different, deeper yellow in its beams on the carpet." uses personification to show us a vivid and interesting image of the sun. 

In the beginning, the author repeatedly expresses his incomprehension to those who love gardening, but after reading it, I find that the author is using irony to show his love for gardening.This greatly captures the reader's interest compared to the traditional way of writing.

回复
  • 82230234袁晗菲 29天前

I think the article's language is beautiful and encourages readers to think uniquely, showcasing the author's exceptional writing prowess and passion for gardening. 

For instance, "The Rite of Spring", the title that I find captivating, implies that the attainment of joyful experiences often goes hand in hand with pain and self-sacrifice, which is the author's primary message. Furthermore, the text employs an ironic tone throughout, and the author conveys the significance of gardening to him in a manner that is simultaneously eager and suppressed, attracting the readers' interest in reading. Lastly, the article employs personification, exaggeration, and other rhetorical devices in the sixth paragraph to enhance the vividness. 

回复
  • 82230209何敏 29天前

Yes, I like this author's writing style.First of all, The author uses a unique narrative perspective in the article, through the first-person narrative method, so that the reader can have a deeper understanding of the protagonist's inner world. This narrative method not only enhances the sense of authenticity and credibility of the article but also can arouse the resonance of the reader and make people empathize. At the same time, he also uses the writing technique of irony. In the article, the author shows the beauty of spring and the vitality of life incisively and vividly.

回复
  • 82230140郑欣悦 27天前

I like the essay because of the author's humor and writing skills. I think he realized the meaning of life through the progress in which he planted crops. The author uses a unique writing skill to describe his progress in planting, from refusing to accepting. It's an important step for the author to meet the meaning of human beings and life.

回复
  • 82230128杨丹妮 26天前

Yes, I like this essay. And I think the article is full of irony and symbolism. In the beginning, the author tries his best to show his disdain for gardening, but as the article goes on, you will find that the author has a deep love for gardening. And the author uses symbolic techniques to transform parents' care for their children into careful cultivation of plants. Give meaning to the text, so as to leave a deep impression on the reader.

回复

添加回复