视频(34)
讨论(8)
PPT(16)
考试(9)
练习(1)
作业(2)

话题6-思维拓展丨Watch a film and analyze the product placement

By 管洁颖 老师 2018-10-25 1184次浏览

Watch a film online. List every example of product placement that you can find. In which examples do you believe the film's content is altered, however minimally, to accommodate the placement? Take a screenshot of the most blatant example of product placement and upload it here. Explain and analyze it.

Write a post in around 300 words. Or, you could read others' posts and comment on their analysis. You may or may not agree with them, but you need to explain your own reasons.

1 回复

• Libretta 2018-10-30

My comment is based on the film The Parent Trap (《天生一对》), which tells a story of reunion starting from a fortuitous and funny encounter. It's closely connected to everyday life, so an abundance of product placements is easily observed. I would like to focus on three particular examples.

In the first two screenshots shown above, the little girl Hallie was sharing snacks with her new friend Annie (who later turned out to be her twin sister). The first depicts Hallie holding a large packet of Oreos as she treated Annie to some biscuits, while the latter had her pulling out a jar of Skippy peanut butter from her bag. Both brands were explicitly demonstrated, and the movie even filmed the two girls actually enjoying Oreos dipped in peanut butter. The last screenshot is more implicit. It was taken near the ending when Nick, Hallie and Annie's father was showing his ex-wife a comprehensive wine collection. Although we couldn't find any sign of wine brands on the bottle, further search revealed it as "where dreams have no end" from the Italian brand Jermann.

The cases concerning snacks were quite blatant. In my opinion, however, I found the degree to which the content was altered fairly acceptable. As the story unfolded around real-life events, the appearance of snacks in a girl's dorm was reasonable, creating in a natural and coherent flow of scripts. For the wine, I believe that it has shown the charm of product placement. The bottle only stayed on the screen for a couple of seconds, and further information on the wine stayed completely unknown. Yet its unique decoration grasped my attention at the first sight. I also kind of overheard Nick gently telling his ex-wife that the same wine was served at their wedding years ago, which triggered me to learn more about this special bottle of wine. In a nutshell, I would take this film as a successful exemplar of product placement, for the products just happened to appear and blend in.  

------

Speaking of the movie itself, the plots were intriguing and truly amusing, leading up to a happy ending of reunion. It also impressed me that the young actress Lindsay Lohan played dual roles of Hallie and Annie, with a fluent transition between two personalities. I sincerely recommend this movie to all of you!

回复

添加回复