助教

课程特色

视频(81)
练习(4)
考试(5)
作业(4)

Logical Thinking

By Cooper 老师 2018-10-31 621次浏览

This literally means a disciplined thinking that is clear, rational, open-minded, and informed by evidence. The process  involves the careful acquisition and interpretation of information and use of it to reach a conclusion. 

This skill is essential if students desire to excel in writing/speaking.

The most common mistake found in students is the lack of evidence to support their claims. English is a very rational and straight forward language. If your core idea is not supported by logical evidence, then they will be less persuasive or even void.

Exempli gratia,' Hydroelectric Is Green Energy'.   This is the common perception, but deeper analysis reveals the opposite. Deforestation and the submerge of valleys to build dam devastate eco-system and most of the collateral damages are irreversible. Most dams can only generate output at its full capacity during the summer, when rains are aplenty. Thus for a few months in a year, the eficacy of generators is low. Weight added by dam on the surface of seismic active area has known to induce more earth quakes.

All the above mentioned points need to be elaborated, not withstanding that they still serve as evidence to counter the argument that Hydro Power is green energy. To sum it up, when you have an narative idea, you need to furnish evidence either to support or to refute, depending on your stance.  Shun lengthy but empty talk.

4 回复

• Cooper 老师 2018-11-02

The ability to talk, think, imagine, get along with people who are different from you, debate and see another point of view come from a liberal education that encapsulates LOGICAL THINKING. Generally speaking, people who are logical tend to be more confident and communicative, for they are able to deploy their mind to filter out fact from fiction. Hence, making them an open-minded person.

回复
  • Cooper 老师 2018-11-18

Futher digress from the Logical Thinking.....this time pertaining to your jobs and AI ( artificial intelligence).

In the up and coming Fourth Industrial Revolution the world is spectating, AI garners all the spotlights. For better or worse, most of the jobs present today, will be replaced or entirely wiped out by robots of AI. Nonetheless, to date there are some career paths that seemed to survived the AI's onslaught. Jobs that require very human qualities like communication, empathy, creativity, logical thinking and dreaming, are still teeming well. Collectively, we often refer to these qualities as “soft skills” , that require more logical thinking.

Those unlikely-to-be-automated jobs, require human interaction and logical, empathetic thinking. A perfect example of a job that won't be automated – social workers, who need to handle cases from a clinical, legal and emotional angle. It’s virtually impossible to see a robot doing that.

In short, if you're concerned that your job might be one day outsourced to technology, the best thing you can do right now is work on your soft skills. Work on communication, logical thinking, problem-solving, empathy, and creativity. Partake in public speaking/speech, organizing activities and aquaintance of foreigners ...just to name some that you can engross with in campus.

回复
  • Lelin 2019-01-09

Thank you really Cooper for helping me get my writting skill improved largely. laugh

The word "logic" comes from the Greek word meaning "reason" which is not only essential in our study but every aspect of our life. A logical thinker is able to  observe and analyze phenomena, reactions, and feedback and then draw conclusions based on that input also can justify his strategies, actions, and decisions based on the facts he gather which is what our Chinese students do lack of. Because what we have acquired in school is only "obedience". We lost our creavitity, independence and most important one-Thinking. We even can not write an fluent artical not to mention get a quick promotion in our future career life.

Fortunately, after reading your artical about "Logical Thinking",my perspective has changed a lot(in the positive way). I used to be a sheeple who always follow other's suggestions without critical analysis or research which has made me faced with thousands of predicament .My families, friends, or leaders never ask for my advice and they always make my mind, and the result is what I want for the most times,but i can not say "NO". Not because I am the humblest one but I can not think.

This is why "Logical Thinking" is significant in our life. Thank you again for posting such a profound artical here.

回复
  • 翮恬玉 2019-03-14

Dr.COOPER,

How to build up the mind of "Logical Thinking"? I really wanna know that! Thanks a lot!

回复

添加回复