南京师范大学
讲师
南京师范大学
讲师

课程特色

视频(33)
作业(8)
考试(1)

If you were Neil, how would you resolve the conflict between dream and reality? (Dead Poets Society)

By 姚望 老师 2023-03-11 1215次浏览

50 回复

• Ashly 2023-03-14

Perhaps I have to solve the problem in reality, when I am strong enough I will come back to my dream.

回复
  • wr 2023-03-14

Anyway,I couldn't bear the 10 years following school life which will definitely destroy my dream and break my heart,and it is just too long for people who wants to be actors. 

So if I were Neil,in one way,I would try my best to persuade my parents into accepting and supporting my ambition or at least my hobby and let me have a try. I could accept a little compromise if acceptable.

If it doesn't work,I may threaten them with my life if necessary (but I won't suicide because it hurts)or directly running away from home to show my determination.

回复
  • wr 2023-03-14

Anyway,I couldn't bear the 10 years following school life which will definitely destroy my dream and break my heart,and it is just too long for people who wants to be actors. 

So if I were Neil,in one way,I would try my best to persuade my parents into accepting and supporting my ambition or at least my hobby and let me have a try. I could accept a little compromise if acceptable.

If it doesn't work,I may threaten them with my life if necessary (but I won't suicide because it hurts)or directly running away from home to show my determination.

回复
  • 05220105刘姝言 2023-03-14

I won't pursue my dreams aimlessly without thinking about the reality carefully. I prefer to find a balance between dream and reality.
    But if there does exists a severe conflict between dream and reality, I think I would never give up my dream. The process of struggling for dream is so meaningful to my life,because one of the key elements of life is striving to build my own lives. I need dream because it can give me a direction to find my way to success and fulfill the value of my life.

收起
  • 05220101文心愿 2023-03-14

if i was neil, i will give up my schoolwork to pursuit my dream. for one thing, it is very rare that a man knew what he was really passionate about at such a young age. for another, giving to your parents will only make it worse. because when neil obeys his parents' wishes to become a doctor, then his parents will only force him to do other things such as getting married, having a baby. only getting away from his parents can neil be himself.

回复
  • 05220119范家涛 2023-03-14

Personally, I'll definately stick to my dream cuz it empowers me to go through the tough reality. Sometimes you gotta change yourself facing reality. Once you get away from it, you've picked up steam and  will be abke to pursue your dream freely. For my part, Neil should follow his dad's words until he makes it to graduation and chase his acting career indepently.

回复
  • 05220123董晨曦 2023-03-15

There is always an inevitable contradiction between dreams and reality. However, life is fair and only once for everyone. No matter how difficult it is, we should not give up on our lives. To struggle, to fight. The beauty of life lies in hard work and indomitability, and the hymn of mankind is the hymn of courage. Just go for it and never turn back.

回复
  • 05220121顾茜 2023-03-17

If I were Neil, although I know that communication with my father is likely to be rejected or denied, I would try to express my true thoughts from shallower to deeper or reach some kind of compromise agreement with father. If there is no room for negotiation, I may choose to be admitted to the best medical university temporarily as required by Neil's father, and then I will have the ability and confidence to get rid of father and pursue dream of acting by myself. It is inevitable that there is contradiction between ideal and reality, but completely escaping from it will only lose both at the same time.Avoiding the important and dwelling on the trivial,or delaying gratification sometimes can be a strategy.

收起
  • 27210220杨欣童 2023-03-18

Neil was really having a hard time struggling between dream and reality. I feel him. However, if I were him, I still wouldn't choose ending myself to settle the conflict. Puting myself into his shoes, I would first try to talk everything out to my parents and explain to them how important my dream is to me at the very beginning. Judging from the movie, Neil's parents, especially his mother treasured their son dearly, so I tend to believe this might work. If not, then I would make a deal with my father, that is to use gaining the certificate of the medical school as an exchange for the freedom of pursuing my dream. In this way, not only my father would feel satisfied, but also I would feel a step closer towards my dream even it is by going to medical school.  

回复
  • 05220113李彦之 2023-03-18

Neil's death was caused by a huge conflict between his own thought and the cruel reality. If I were Neil, firstly, I would try my best to communicate with my father because communication is key to creating a healthy family relationship. All teenagers need such relationship with their parents which can help them speak out their true ideas and troubles freely without much to worry. Neil suffered a lot from his father's unreasonable control over him. This is something we Chinese students encounter as well. Most of our parents have already made a plan for us and want us to stick to their ideas with much expectation, which is undoubtedly painful for all of us if the plan doesn't match with our dreams, so it's necessary to talk with our parents and share my true thoughts with them and let them understand my feelings.Neil's dream was to be a actor but his father's idea was to make him a doctor. If I were Neil, I would choose to go to a medical school first and then use my afterclass time to participate school plays and practice my acting. Maybe I won't take acting as the essence of my life. Instead, acting will become one of my hobbies.

回复
  • 05220104刘忠林 2023-03-19

Most people agree that those who come from famous schools and have excellent grades will definitely have a bright life, so people repeatedly educate the next generation. But Neil is a romanticist, and this is the opportunity and pursuit he dreams of. If Neil cannot live in his wonderful dream, he would rather fight against those resistence even by death. However, most of the time our dreams are not on the flat path.Because of this, the elders always tend to encourage us to choose stable lives and jobs.But it is teenagers who want to compete with God. Those paths which can be seen to the end at a glance is less passionate and interesting to them. The meaning of life is to be independent by ourselves. We should chase our dream instead of leaving some regrets when we get old.Neil should chase his dream to be at the theatre, but he should not be silent to his father or just follow what he said and replied, "yes sir".If I were Neil, I would talk with my father frequently. I promised him that I would become a doctor or something, but he should allow my time of what I want. Anyway, I won't commit suicide. I will definitely fight against the difficulties to the end

回复
  • 05220125戴昕 2023-03-19

Neil's death was a result of bullying by a strong and rigid patriarchy, but also of a test-oriented education at school. If I were Neil, and I was aware that there was nothing I could do to change my surroundings, I would actively sharpen myself. While expanding my love of romanticism, I will strive to improve my academic performance in all subjects and increase the confidence to communicate with my father and the school. Neil's death is not a failure of education, but a failure of ideals, and it is time to slow down and find a bridge between old institutions and new ideas that gives us the opportunity to embrace new ideas while escaping the shadow of old institutions and avoiding greater sacrifice.Only by this way we can try to find a balance between dream and reality!

回复
  • 10210401王好 2023-03-21

If I were Neil, maybe I will try my best to convey my ideas from my inner heart and beg my father for permission to act. However, if my father insist that I should focus on my study,it is possiple for me to give in temporarily and wait for a proper time to pursue my dream.

回复
  • 05220110吴思齐 2023-03-21

We have to admit that such kind of conflict is inevitable and common in daily life. If i were Neil, first of all, i will attempt to find reasons for such a conflict and apparently, the biggest obstacle lies in his stubborn and conservative father. Then I may spare no efforts to persuading him and telling him my inner voice. I will keep pursuing it until someday my father comes to an understanding with all the decisions that i make and someday he will no longer constrain my thoughts .What should i do is not to let his voice of opinions drown out my own life, which should shaped only by myself, and It can’t be better if i can balance my dream with reality, for example, i will view acting as one of my life-long hobbies which i can develop in spare time but not an occupation, because becoming a doctor can not only support my material life but also maintain the peace of family.  Maybe in the process of fulfilling our dreams, we will ultimately find out that it is the sceneries on road sides that are the most invaluable and meaningful things.

回复
  • 05221105叶彤 2023-03-23

If I were Neil, I will stick to my dream.Because my dream is where my interests lies and interests really matter.When the reality is unsatisfactory,I will try my best to solve or to balance.

回复
  • 05221106冯晶奕 2023-03-23

I do not think I will use a gun to end my life.If my parents don't understand my passion for something,I may try my best to convince them.Sincerity is the most effective way of communication.I will talk to my father honestly about my thoughts and my dreams.I understand why they want me to be a doctor,but if I do not want to be one,I will never be forced to obey.It is my own life.Nobody except me can take responsibilities of my own future.So even if nobody understand me,I will still spare no efforts to pursue my dreams.

回复
  • 05221111张瑜 2023-03-24

If I were Neil,I would actively communicate with my father,first expressing my understanding of my father's expectation and affection for me,and frankly explaining the reasons for my love of acting,so as to win my father's understanding and respect for my dream.At the same time,I would make my concessions and promise to my father to develop the hobby of acting properly under the premise of not delaying my studies.In the future life,I would attach more importance to my studies,take acting just as a leisure and entertainment activity in spare time,in order to prove that I can keep a good balance between studying and acting and live up to my father's expectations through my efforts.However,I would never give up acting and I do believe my father would be deeply touched by my persistence and dedication to my dream someday.Then he may gradually support me and recognize my choice.

回复
  • 05221116周思奕 2023-03-25

I would seriously communicate with my father and tell him what I think, what I love and how I feel. My hobbies are never child's play, and I can balance my studies with my interests, but I will never give up my interests. It would be best if a reconciliation could be reached, but even if my father still disagreed, I would not resort to suicide as a means of resistance. There is more in the world and we can start from scratch even if we have nothing.If communication still doesn't work, I will take the necessary means to pursue my dreams, such as running away from home. Because Neil's father is very controlling, if Neil compromises over and over again, his chances of following his heart to pursue his dreams in the future will only become less and less.

回复
  • 05221112汪璇 2023-03-25

If I were Neil,I would try to have a long conversation with my father and talk to him as equals instead of keeping everything bottled inside.Or I would talk to my mother and let my mother talk with my father or I can talk to my good friends to ask for advice.In a word,I will not give up my life easily.Because as long as there is life,there is still a chance to realize my dream.

回复
  • 05220122崔盛晞 2023-03-25

If I were Neil, I would listen to my father temporarily, but I would never give up my dream. After I finish my studies and get a stable income, I will use my spare time to devote myself to my favorite activities, such as Neil's dream to act in a drama. Although I may love acting, making a living from acting is not an easy thing for ordinary people. I will take it as my hobby. It is difficult to choose between reality and ideal, but I am willing to value both. Ideal happiness and realistic hard work make real life. I deeply believe that the answer is not suicide.

回复
  • 05220114李然 2023-03-25

If I were Neil, I would take reality into consideration first that the dream should be rooted in reality. If my belief in my dream is strong enough, it won't be too late to chase after it at any time. If not, I will regret not taking reality into account and not listening to my father,and then probably give up halfway to my dream. So, I will build myself up until I have the ability to realise my dream.

回复
  • 05221123程妍笑 2023-03-27

If I were Neil,I would have a conversation with my father and tell them my dream.I would not suicide,because life is full of possibilities.only if I am still alive can I keep chasing dreams.Seize my day and make my life extraordinary.

回复
  • 05221104卢帆 2023-03-27

It is hard to resolve the conflict between dream and reality. But I wouldn't commit suicide if my dream meets barrier on account that it isn't the best choice and makes others painful. Because of the bossy father, if I were Neil, I might study hard and achieve a degree to fulfill his ambition. But it is impossible for me to give up pursuing my passion for theater and I will take an active part in activities concerning theatre. When the bossy father is satisfied with me, It is my time to persue my own life. 

回复
  • 05221113陈心怡 2023-03-27

I will not hesitate to pursue my dream, even though it is a little unrealistic. But I think the dream is the spiritual food to support a person through life. Dreams are valuable. When we find our interest, why not boldly pursue it? All roads lead to Rome. Living conditions may limit our dreams. But there are still many ways to pursue your dreams. Is it too late to think about it when you're old?

回复
  • 05221117赵明 2023-03-27

In fact, I am a full idealist, but I am also very timid. When I face the conflict between ideal and reality, I may not dare to die like Neil, but I will stick to my dream, break all adverse factors to let people who don't support choose to support, and those who do not believe choose to believe.Maybe there will be a balance between dreams and reality and there will be a way, life is always full of possibilities.

回复
  • 05220106孙梦秋 2023-03-27

Were I Neil, I would not commit suicide either way. Perhaps I will accomplish my schoolwork and secretly spare some time for acting. I will make compromise to maintain a peaceful situation and get some necessary supports but I will never completely give up my dreams. I reckon that a dream without considering the reality is delicate and groundless because the reality is to some extent the condition of achieving our dreams.I will struggle to find balance between dream and reality, and if this is really unattainable, I will put my dreams aside for a while and cope with the reality first.

回复
  • 05220111张喆浩 2023-03-28

If I were Neil, I would like to cling to my dream. It is a pity that he commits suicide when he finds it impossible to disobey his parent's wishes. If he could be more firm and determined, he may find a way out. If I were Neil ,I would like to tread a somewhat radical way like leave home and pursue my acting dream on my own. It is the only solution to break the reality under the paternalistic and conventional reality. Neil is a good reflection of a group of people at that time who want to pursue their dream but finally yield to the depressing reality.  He could not make a choice between his dream or the reality. They are at that circumstanced imcompatilble. I of course would choose to be the one who have the courage to break the never altered and dull reality.

回复
  • 05220118周珈羽 2023-03-28

I would like to have a long conversation with my father. I would tell him my passion for drama. I would try my best to challenge the authority of my father and use proper ways to express my true feelings instead of committing a suicide.

回复
  • 05220102王艺妍 2023-03-29

A famous Chinese poet, Gu Cheng, said, "I have countless golden dreams, lost on the way of life." Though it's the true picture of most people in the pursuit of their dreams, I still want to struggle for my dreams.

So, if I were Neil, I would unhesitatingly stick to my dream after defining it. Firstly, I would definitely tell my father with a tough attitude, and try my best to make him accept it without being worried about crossing him. If it haven't work, I would behaved, at least on the surface, just as I have accepted the reality. However, I would never give up my dream for even one second. I would keep working hard for my dream behind his back, and once I had been capable enough, it would be realized. And then, nothing would ever matter.

回复
  • 05221108刘培鑫 2023-03-29

If I were neil , I would pursue my dream definitely. But the personality is shaped by the environment ,they ,my parents and my friends, encourage me to achieve my dream. So I can pursue my dream without burden. But if there are few people who encourage me to pursuit my dream. And my parents control me strictly ,who manage my life, my dream even my activities, I won’t have any motivation to pursue my dream.I was unfortunate for what happened to meil, but if I had been completely in Neil's environment, it might have ended the same way.

回复

添加回复