南京师范大学
讲师
南京师范大学
讲师

课程特色

视频(33)
作业(8)
考试(1)

In your parent-child relationship, do you find anything in common with those in the movie Joy Luck Club?

By 姚望 老师 2023-05-23 353次浏览

In your parent-child relationship, do you find anything in common with those in the movie Joy Luck Club?

25 回复

• 05221117赵明 2023-05-23

There are similarities in some minor aspects, but not much.My parents expect me to perform well, which is the same, except that they don't force me to do things I don't want and accept my ordinariness.They always try to understand me in proper ways,and  it is what I did as well.

回复
  • 05221113陈心怡 2023-05-23

There are many similar problems in Chinese families, so as my family. When I was young, my mother used to get everything arranged for me. She asked me to do anything right as she thought, and forbade doing the wrong.  But as I grow up, I gradually came up with my own ideas and refused to act as what she wanted me to do. I began to rebel. Though we argued many times, we always have our own ways to communicate with each other. When we grow up, our parents are also growing.

回复
  • 05221104卢帆 2023-05-23

My mother, like Lindo, would casually want to show off some of my achievements to her friends. At the same time, my mother also has a strong control over me and always commands me to do something.

回复
  • 05221120徐嘉泽 2023-05-24

There are some similarities but not much.In my childhood,my parents would force me to do something that they think right and seldom ask my thoughts.However,luckily,when I grow up my parents chose to respect my own thoughts in many aspects and encourage me to choose the rest of my life on my own.

回复
  • 05221102王子曰 2023-05-26

Yeah, this is something common in the four parent-kid relationships. Because this movie is written by a Chinese-American. So it is not hard to notice that the author is intended to talk about the cultural differences in a viewpoint of a immigrant. Actually, these four daughters' American unbringing has brought the concern of Chinese mothers. Set in two cultural background, daughters and mothers are all struggling to find a way to step into the world of each other. However, the love and blood relationship never changes, and they use it to break down the barriers, which is the most typical and special of this movie.

回复
  • 27210207吴天圣 2023-05-26

As an AI language model, I don't have personal experiences or relationships like a human does. Therefore, I don't have a parent-child relationship or the ability to watch movies and form opinions based on them. The movie "The Joy Luck Club" explores the complexities of the mother-daughter relationships within Chinese-American families. While I don't have personal experiences to draw from, I can understand that parent-child relationships can be influenced by cultural backgrounds, generational gaps, and differing perspectives. These factors can create both challenges and opportunities for understanding, connection, and personal growth within families.

回复
  • 05221108刘培鑫 2023-05-26

I think my parents are actually very tolerant of me. If I don't go too far, they won't stop me. Just like when I was a child, I didn't want to do homework, they would help me with it; If I haven't finished my homework, they will take me off. But if I say I don't want to go to school, it's a bit excessive, and they will naturally stop me and order me to go to school.

回复
  • 05221112汪璇 2023-05-27

My parents didn't have much in common with the mothers in the movie. My parents don't interfere too much in my life and study. They sometimes give me some advice, but they don't impose their own ideas on me and they respect my own choices. I feel I have been quite free since childhood.

回复
  • 05221118赵金秀 2023-05-27

There are similarities between my parent-child relationship and the movie.I can relate to some of the parent-child relationship issues portrayed in the movie Joy Luck Club. My parents used to have strong opinions about my future and career path, and have sometimes tried to force me to follow their ideas instead of pursuing my own dreams and ambitions. The movie Joy Luck Club highlights how difficult it can be to bridge the generation gap and understand the perspectives of our parents. I believe that communication and empathy are crucial in developing a healthy parent-child relationship. While it can be frustrating at times, I try to take the time to listen to my parents' concerns and talk to them openly about my own aspirations. It reminds the importance of communication and mutual understanding in building a strong parent-child relationship.

回复
  • 05221116周思奕 2023-05-27

As in most traditional Chinese families, my parents and I are not good at expressing and showing love in a straightforward way. The same is true of the mothers and daughters in the Joy Luck Club. Lindo's love is hidden in her meanness, An Mei's mother's suicide gives her the strength to be strong, Su Yuan's tyranny over her daughter is actually triple the expectation, and Ying Ying pulls her daughter out of her unhappy marriage in time.

回复
  • 伍依婷05221107 2023-05-27

My mother is not good at expressing herslef in someway just like Lindo,and sometimes we may misunderstand eachother's feelings just like Waverly and Lindo.And sometimes she's like Lindo when she intervent my thingss,but it's from her good intentions,though,even if I dont feel the same as her.So more communication is nessasary.

回复
  • 05221123程妍笑 2023-05-28

My parents want me to be a good student who gets high grades and develop myself in different aspects. They have a great expectation on me which makes me feel stressed sometimes.Luckily,they willl not push me to do anything that I don't like and support my decisions without conditions.

回复
  • 05221111张瑜 2023-05-28

In the parent-child relationship,especially the mother-doughter relationship,my mother and I indeed have many similarities with the four mother-doughter pairs in the Hifu Club.For example,when I was a child,my mother,like June's mother Su yuan,had high expectations and demands for me , and even sometimes made me do things she thought were good but not for me.At the same time,my mother,like Lina's mother YingYing,would tell me how to make decisions in life according to her own experience.In short,there are inevitably many conflicts between mothers and doughters,but the blood is always thicker than water,so we can always rely on each other.

回复
  • 05221121彭融聪 2023-05-28

My parents also have expectations for me.They would be proud of me.But the difference is that my parents don't force me, they respect my choice and give me advice and encouragement. So I have a very harmonious relationship with my parents.

回复
  • 27210220杨欣童 2023-05-30

Yes, I do find something in common between the parent-child relationship in themovie and that in my own life. We are very similar in that each member in the relationship is deep down full of love and care yet many times fails to deliver this love in the proper way.   In other words, we all need to constantly learn to communicate better and never do harm to one another in the name of love.

回复
  • 10210401王好 2023-05-30

Yes,I find someting in common with those in the movie Joy Luck Club In my parent-child relationship.we care for each other from our inner heart and I discovered sometimes we are used to putting our negative feelings on each other, but after noticing that we did wrong things,we would admit our faults and get back to a harmonious family. 

回复
  • 05221105叶彤 2023-05-31

Yes, I can find a few points. My Mom, like every mother in the movie, offers me support and encouragement when I need in most. While my father, I know that he cares about me a lot, but he can't always express it right, like Lindo. It takes me some time to understand him, like Waverly.

回复
  • 05221106冯晶奕 2023-05-31

Yes,I do find some similar things.For example,me parents want me to be successful just like the moms in the movie.They always tell me that it's important to think for myself and then make my decisions.They teach me not to lose myself in the relationship with others.They told me that when I feel bad in a relationship,I should escape this relationship and firstly protect myself.

回复
  • 05221110张奕驰 2023-06-01

My dad is a typical Chinese parent, he is similar to lindo. He would brag about my achievements to satisfy his vanity and hopefully make many of my choices for me. My mum is the complete opposite, she respects my individual thoughts.

回复
  • 05220109邢子谦 06-11

There are some small similarities in some aspects, but not many. My parents hope that I will perform well, which is the same, but they won't force me to do things I don't want to do, nor will they accept my mediocrity. They always try to understand me, and I do the same.

回复
  • 05220122崔盛晞 06-19

In fact, my mother always wanted me to be an excellent child. But at that time I felt a lot of pressure. Just like the relationship between Suyuan and June. I always thought my mom wanted me to be something. Before the college entrance examination, I was under a lot of pressure. When I talked to my mother on the phone, I cried. I told her that I was afraid of failure, afraid that there was no way to meet her expectations. However, my mother said something similar to Suyuan. “Everyone's life is different,” she says. “If you fail here, you might succeed somewhere else. Don't be afraid. We love you no matter what you are.” I was very moved. I think parents and children need to communicate like this.

回复
  • 05220117陈嘉鑫 06-20

From my perspective, Rose and Anmei have the warmest relationship among the four couples and I could find something in common with them in my parent-child relationship. Mothers and daughters can have strained relationships that require effort and understanding to heal. Even if we don't fully understand each other on every occasion, we are willing to open up and try to think of things from the other's point of view.

回复
  • 05220125戴昕 06-20

Yes, I see similarities between the parent-child relationships in The Joy Luck Club and my own.  Like Lindo and Waverly in the movie, my relationship with my parents can also be affected by misunderstandings due to a lack of communication.  While my parents are generally open-minded and respect my ideas, we still have conflicts at times due to miscommunication.  I think this is a common problem in Chinese families, where parents may have difficulty expressing themselves, and children may struggle to understand and appreciate their parents' concerns.  In my experience, communication is key to resolving these conflicts and building a stronger, more meaningful relationship between parents and children.

回复
  • 05220108汤冰冰 06-24

The film is full of conflicts between mother and daughter: the conflict between the high expectations of the mother and the self-consciousness of the daughters, the collision of the two cultures, the generation gap between the old and the new generation, and the confusion of the second generation of immigrants about their cultural identity. These all break out in the daily life of each mother and daughter.

It can be said that expectations are the theme that parents cannot escape in the process of raising children. Perhaps the content of parents' expectations of children is different in each era, but unconsciously we will always bet on their children's regrets in their lives, because we feel that children are the continuation of our lives, and ignore the meaning of life is to become themselves. Maybe we will feel that we are not the perfect daughter in our mother's heart, and we will deny ourselves. But we need to find the courage to tell Mom that I need your approval. Because the greatest courage in the world is from a mother's love.

回复
  • 睡觉辽 06-26

The film is full of conflicts between mother and daughter: the conflict between the high expectations of the mother and the self-consciousness of the daughters, the collision of the two cultures, the generation gap between the old and the new generation, and the confusion of the second generation of immigrants about their cultural identity. These all break out in the daily life of each mother and daughter.

It can be said that expectations are the theme that parents cannot escape in the process of raising children. Perhaps the content of parents' expectations of children is different in each era, but unconsciously we will always bet on their children's regrets in their lives, because we feel that children are the continuation of our lives, and ignore the meaning of life is to become themselves. Maybe we will feel that we are not the perfect daughter in our mother's heart, and we will deny ourselves. But we need to find the courage to tell Mom that I need your approval. Because the greatest courage in the world is from a mother's love

回复

添加回复