视频(33)
考试(33)
讨论(7)

idioms

By 李锦兴 2022-12-04 465次浏览 课时18

what are idioms?

4 所有答案

• yy3 2022-12-08

A concise and incisive stereotyped phrase or short sentence that people have been accustomed to for a long time.

回复
  • 麻静妮 2022-12-13

Idioms are fixed combinations of words whose meaning is often difficult to guess from the meaning of each individual word.

For example, if I say 'I put my foot in it the other day at Linda's house - I asked her if she was going to marry Simon', what does it mean? If you do not know that put your foot in it means say something accidentally which upsets or embarrasses someone, it is difficult to know exactly what the sentence means. It has a non-literal or idiomatic meaning.

Idioms are constructed in different ways, and this book gives you practice in a wide variety of types of idiom. Here are some examples: Tim took a shine to [immediately liked] his teacher. (verb+ object+ preposition) The band's number one hit was just a flash in the pan [something that happens only once] (idiomatic noun phrase) Little Jimmy has been as quiet as a mouse [extremely quiet] all day. (simile. See Unit 9 for more similes.) We arrived safe and sound [safely]. (binomial. See Unit 10 for more binomials.)

Idioms are often based on everyday things and ideas, for example, the human body: Mark and Alistair don't see eye to eye. [don't agree with each other]

回复
  • 赵琳 2022-12-17

A concise and incisive stereotyped phrase or short sentence that people have been accustomed to for a long time.

回复
  • Serina 2022-12-24

回复

添加答案