课程特色

视频(81)
练习(4)
考试(5)
作业(4)
下载资料(13)

Nomophobia --- No Mobile Phone Phobia

By Cooper 老师 2019-04-16 756次浏览

"Nomophobia" has been named as Cambridge Dictionary’s word of 2018. Are you having these ?

• Constantly checking your phone for no reason
  • Feeling anxious or restless at the thought of being without your phone
  • Avoiding social interaction in favour of spending time on your phone
  • Waking up in the middle of the night to check your smartphone
  • A decline in academic or work performance as a result of prolonged phone activity
  • Easily distracted by emails or smart app

The onset of severe anxiety on losing access to your smartphone has been talked about for years. Invariably, students now are incapable of reading books to the end, watching full-length movies or having long uninterrupted conversations face to face. A recent study conducted over 1000 students in Korea, where 72% of children own a smartphone by the age of 11 or 12 and spend on average 5.4 hours a day on them - as a result about 25% of children were considered addicted to smartphones. Youths lack that level of maturity, making it harder for them to manage smartphone usage as they don't have self-control. The device is seen as the sole key to wider human contact. Vulnerable children and young adults can feel adrift and unable to connect to others without it.

In fact, there are some famous people that do not use a smartphone. Warren Buffet, the second richest man on earth is still using a 2G phone. Vladimir Putin the Russian president, is famous for claiming not having a mobile phone.  Tom Cruise, the celebrity who starred series of Block Buster Movies, most notably--- Mission Impossible, has no mobile phone either. Deliberately separating from your phone by turning it off or leaving it at home can reduce dependency and anxiety. You might want to have a few hours doing without phone daily, to keep you...sane.

7 回复

• Tina 2019-04-27

In fact, I hate my mobile phone very much now, even feel afraid, every time I check the QQ message, it is the task notice of the leader, there will be some boredom. Nevertheless, I would check the news every once in a while to see if I had missed any notifications and if there were any problems with my classmates. What I enjoyed most was before college, I could go out without my cell phone and just take a walk to enjoy the roadside scenery without being disturbed by the outside news. Now I am gradually dominated by the mobile phone, which is terrible.

回复
  • 西西 2019-04-27
    To tell the truth, I really have nomophobia. I just focus on my phone even during walking,eating and anytime.I take that someone is calling me or there are some work messages I should check as an excuse to look at the phone all the time. In fact,no one is calling me. I am addicted to the phone to escape from the real world to avoid communicating with others face to face. I really know this is not what I am supposed to do, but until now I haven’t found efficient ways to correct it.
    回复
  • Cooper 老师 2019-04-28
    The remedy is simply to reverse the process. That's to say, you need to rid yourself from carrying a phone all the time. For instance when you're heading for canteen or even class, just leave your phone at dorm. Gradually you will prolong the cut off periods and increase the intensity. Mobile phone dampens social interaction skill, thus you should draw a line on its usage, by hook or by crook.
    回复
  • Dreamy 2019-05-08

honestly speaking,I am a severe nomophobia which take the charge of my life and study like a monster .what's worse,most of my time are wasted in using my phone to  check Moments ,Sina blog and other web  unconsciously.

actually,one Saturday last month,I decided to climb the Gele mountain with my roommate . Without taking my phone is the most influential choose for me that day .you can imagine how enjoyable the day is and we are . I think Ineed to control the phone not be controled by a machine.

回复
  • Felice 2019-05-15

It’s true that the use of smartphone has caused a bad influence on our life. Sometimes, I hold my phone and swipe the screen repeatedly, but after going on for more than one hour, I will suddenly find that I don’t know what I have done and waste this precious time in this hour. Smartphones may cause the waste of time, and in that time, phones will occupy your mind, deprive your thinking ability. Especially now, when using mobile phones to browse information, a large amount of information will be pushed to our eyes, among which there will be information of interest. And once we're attracted to it, there will be more similar information, which you’re also interested in. After a few repetitions, it will rob the control of brain, lose our mind and become addicted to it.

回复
  • Cooper 老师 2019-05-19
    You have to walk the talk. Shall you aspired for a life not dictated by phone, then start the detachment process gradually. I do not, however, reckon you need to completely or drastically cut-off from mobile phone. Any dramatic change could bring forth only adverse effect. Be moderate and slot in more time in a day, without carrying a phone. That's suffice to curb Nomophobia.
    回复
  • Cooper 老师 2019-05-19
    You have to walk the talk. Shall you aspired for a life not dictated by phone, then start the detachment process gradually. I do not, however, reckon you need to completely or drastically cut-off from mobile phone. Any dramatic change could bring forth only adverse effect. Be moderate and slot in more time in a day, without carrying a phone. That's suffice to curb Nomophobia.
    回复

添加回复