The University of Adelaide 慕课团 加入小组

20个成员 17个话题 创建时间:2020-08-21

【原著共读】《The Tell-Tale Heart 》(2)

发表于2020-08-31 2603次查看

Now this is the point. You fancy me mad. Madmen know nothing. But you should have seen me. You should have seen how wisely I proceeded---with what caution---with what foresight---with what dissimulation I went to work! I was never kinder to the old man than during the whole week before I killed him. And every night, about midnight, I turned the latch of his door and opened it ---oh so gently! And then, when I had made an opening sufficient for my head. Oh you would have laughed to see how cunningly I thrust it in! I moved it slowly---very, very slowly, so that I might not disturb the old man's sleep. It took me an hour to place my shole head within the opening so far taht I could see him as he lay upon his bed. Ha! would a madman have been so wise as this? And then, when my head was well in the room, I undid the lantern cautiously---oh, so cautiously---cautiously (for the hinges creaked)---I undid it just so much that a single thin ray fell upon the vulture eye. And this I did for seven long nights---every night just at midnight---but I found the eye always closed; and so it was impossible to do the work; for it was not the old man who vexed me, but his Evil Eye. And every morning, when the day broke, I went boldly into the chamber, and spoke courageously to him, calling him by name in a hearty tone, and inquiring how he has passed the night. So you see he would have been a very profound old man, indeed, to suspect that every night, just at twelve, I looked in upon him while he slept.

3回复
  • 2楼 Cao 2020-08-31

知识学习:

1. You fancy me mad.

这里不是『你喜欢我疯了』,而是『你认为我疯了』

fancy:to believe or imagine sth

2. dissimulation:掩饰,虚伪,装糊涂

3. latch :门闩

4. cunningly:巧妙地,精巧地,狡猾地

5. thrust:推/插(thrust the latch in)

6. lantern:灯笼

7. hinges creaked:铰链嘎吱作响

8. vex:惹怒某人

9. chamber :洞穴,寝室,(特定用途的)室内,会议厅

10. in a hearty tone:用亲切友好的语气

• 3楼 Echo 2020-08-31

排版有点密集,稍有些影响阅读体验

• Cao 2020-08-31
      默认行距,无法调整。
    • GYLars 2020-09-01
      回复 15525090837:或许可以分段一下?
    • Cao 2020-09-01
      回复 17122970748:考虑过,但最后觉得为了排版而进行分段可能会影响原文的表达,所以还是选择了没有分段的形式。
    • Cao 2020-09-01
      回复 17122970748:今天会尝试一下『一句一段』的分段形式,看看效果如何
  • 4楼 Cao 2020-09-01

疑问汇总:

I was never kinder to the old man than during the whole week before I killed him.

than作为对比的时候,前后进行对比的成分是否该是一样的呢?

本句的意思应当是『我在那一周对待那位老人没有比我杀他之前更好过』

when I had made an opening sufficient for my head.

昨天不懂这句的意思,现在明白了,应该是『我弄出了一个足够头通过的开口』

place my shole head within the opening

shole词义不明

when my head was well in the room

这句话,不懂意思……

undid the lantern

undid the lantern:关掉灯?

I undid it just so much that a single thin ray fell upon the vulture eye.

这一句是承接上句

a single thin ray fell upon……是一个很有意境的表达

但undid it just so much就不太明白了

发表回复
你还没有登录,请先 登录或 注册!
话题作者
团员积分排行榜
你不是该慕课团的团员
你不是该慕课团的团员
你不是该慕课团的团员